Reeves V Raptor

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Mikey, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    I have played this horn, both in silver and gold plated. In my humble opinion, it is one of the best horns out there, IF you learn to play it "the right way". By that I mean you cannot force it. It is built liek the Yamaha Shew horn, in that it is a step bore design. Intonation is impeccable, and when you back off, the upper register slots very well. If you force it and try to put too much air through it, it will bite you in the a**.

It is made jointly by the Reeves shop and Cam Brass, who are next door. The parts are custom ordered from Stomvi in Spain.

The horns are $1,995 in silver and $2,495 in gold, and include both rounded and square tuning slides, and a Reeves Cylinder Reinforcer. The sound is not what I am used to hearing (I am an old Bach guy), but if you want a great commercial style horn, check it out. This horn is only available through Bob Reeves and Cam Brass; no dealers.

Check out Jim Manley's web site and listen to his sound clips. He is playing a lightweight version of the Raptor.

Mike

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    CamBrass is next to Reeves. They are a separate company, but they work with Bob Reeves. Both the guys at CamBrass and Bob Reeves desined the Raptor.

Yes, it is an expensive horn, but it comes "ready to play". All the horns are tested by a number of players who work in the shop, and they all include a Reeves Valve Alignment.

I have one on my "wish list"..........

Mike

3. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Manley Playing The "V"

Yes Jim Manley now plays the V-Raptor, however on his web-site the sound clips are not on the "V". "Lip-Trip" was done on his old Bach 43* with a slightly "up-swept" bell. "Christmas Un-Wrapped" and "Splendor In The Brass", and the "Wild Cool & Swingin" he was still playing a Yamaha 6310Z.

Jim is just about done with his latest CD project where he's playing his light weight "V". BTW, he has the 'first' light weight "V" that was made.

The V-Raptor is everything they say it is. Each note has it's own slot, the intonation is right on the money. As far as the pricing, more than fair.

Regards

4. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    The V-Raptor is a great horn. If you like the Yamaha Z, this is from the same mold, but executed to perfection. I prefered the light weight model with gold plate.

Another horn to compare it to is the Callet Jazz. These are all great horns. If I were considering a horn in this category, I'd wait until after next year's NAMM show to try the new Yamaha 8310Z. It may be just another Z, but if Malone gets it right it could be a V-Raptor quality horn for $1,000 less.

Dave

5. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    "V" Raptor

While I don't play one my self, I have played a few of the "V". In every respect superior to most of the "production line trpt's".

I can't even compare it to any other trpt. The responce & the intonation of the V-Raptor is different than any other I've played yet. To do so, is only a "stab" at what the "V" is about.

The V - Raptor is a completely unique beast. You'd be wise to call "Bob Reeves & The Brass Spa" with questions about this trpt!