Refinishing a Connstellation cornet

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by larry newman, Jan 9, 2006.

1. larry newman

larry newman Piano User

Dec 22, 2005
    North Tonawanda, NY, USA
    I've just gotten a 38A Connstellation in very good shape for its years (circa 1962), and am thinking of restoring it completely.

Most of the horn is nickel silver plate, with brass accents, and a Coprion bell.

Any suggestions as to who might handle such a project would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

2. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    A few names come to mind.

Leigh McKinney from Eclipse (even though his current workload of Eclipse trumpet orders might make his time frame a little slow for your tastes)... he totally restored my Olds Opera Cornet with Nickel bell and it's better than new. Truly world class work. www.eclipsetrumpets.com

Jim Becker from Osmun Music is my favorite technician and a true master craftsman. He's worked on all my horns and the only guy I'll go to in the US.
    www.osmun.com

Charlie Melk has received rave reviews, and Rich Ita does a great job as well.

Best,

T

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Yes, Leigh would do a great job. I think that Rich Ita, with his apparent favouratism for cornets, would do it up proud too if you didn't want to send it all the way "across the pond".

4. larry newman

larry newman Piano User

Dec 22, 2005
    North Tonawanda, NY, USA
    Thanks to all for your advice ! I feel I'm in good, experienced company here...

5. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    I have several Connstellation Cornets.

I suspect you are in possession of the "short"-model (37A); and I have never seen one with Coprion (copper)-bell ... although, they commonly occur with nickel-plate over the reputed Coprion-bell ... (I can see the tell-tale hue of copper, looking down into the bell with a "leak-light", on mine).

Any way you can post photo-image here on the web-site for us?

Robt Rowe

6. plp

plp Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2003
    South Alabama
    You mean something like this?

[​IMG]

The work was done by Garry Stoner, aka prof5 at both ebay and TH. To say the least, I highly recommend his work. It plays just as good as it looks.

7. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    Interesting.

I like the copper-plated slides and caps.

Robt Rowe