Refresh lips?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joe, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Joe

Joe Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2010
    Ireland
    Hi all
    I have a very important audition tomorrow and my lips are in god awful shape from my braces. Any tips/remedies for returning my lips to tip top shape (near enough to) would be gretly appreciated;-)
    By the way the audition is in less then 12 hours!!!

2. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    This is from Bobby Shew's website on the Clinics page
    Official Web Site of Bobby Shew

3. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    Rest is the best cure. Are you using wax when you play? That usually helps a lot. Also have you ever checked out wedge mouthpieces? I have never personally tried one, but I hear great things and they're supposed to help with braces.

Players with Braces

4. Joe

Joe Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2010
    Ireland
    Thanks abtrumpet it probably would have made sense to use wax playing.

5. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Sorry to jump in on this thread but I've never heard of using wax, I assume on the lips, could some one give me a quick heads up on the what and why

Thanks

Andrew

6. Dorabil

Dorabil Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2009
    Rhode Island
    I use Blistex medicated lip ointment ALL the time. It's a creme so it doesn't have a waxy feel or buildup. It comes in little white tubes and I keep one in each case, in my bag, on my desk, in my car, you get the picture. It's available at most drugstores usually near the counter. It really works great! :play:

7. abtrumpet

Nov 14, 2009
    Wax can be used on the metal part of the braces so it doesn't hurt the inside of your lips.

8. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Don't play the rest of today. If whatever you're playing for the audition isn't ready by now, more practice won't help, so just don't play. Tomorrow, do whatever your normal routine is, think about how you want to sound and play your best. Remember that whoever is listening wants you to sound good!

9. andrew_jordan

andrew_jordan Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I had braces all through middle school and in the first two years of high school. On visits to the orthodontist, I'd fill my pockets with as many packets of wax I could get. I put a chunk of wax on every bracket, on every tooth. It was frustrating, and took several minutes of application and removal every time I played the horn, but was totally worth it.

No sense turning the inside of your mouth into shredded beef.

10. abtrumpet

Nov 14, 2009
    Boy, five years of braces? That's torture (not to mention a small fortune)! Personally I never did anything to help my playing when I had braces. This was not smart. Although I played fine, my endurance could have been spared with wax, and possible a mouthpiece change.

Off-topic: A lot of Andrews posting in this thread :p