Refreshing gig

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Jarrett, May 7, 2005.

1. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    Great Gig tonight... pretty much a no rehearsal Real Book jam session for a social. I actually had one of those rare moments where the changes all fell in places, and my fingers and lips didn't get in the way of my head. A lot of the tunes I hadn't played in a while either, like Mr. PC, In Walked Bud, and Jordu. I think sometimes over rehearsing is becoming my downfall nowadays... it's Jazz right? What's the fun if I plan out the whole gig? It was just really refreshing to show up, open the book, workout an ending and play... make the guitar player pull his own weight and give the bass player hand cramps. Gooood stuff.
    Great gig, I played out some major ideas, and I did some things technically that I hadn't ever done before.
    -J
    Ps... oh, the beer was free and the food rocked.

2. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    That sounds like so much fun!

Wow, I could never do something like that...

Lara

3. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Yeah man, those "magical" nights make up totally for all the gigs that suck . . . and keep us dreamin' for more.

Thanks for sharing your memories with us!!! May you have many more through the years.

Warmest regards,

Tom

4. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    Oh, don't sell yourself short. You just gotta get acquainted with the big scary jazz monster that everyone is so afraid of. Jazz is just like anything else, if you don't practice it, you won't be able to play it.
    Besides, it's a blast once you nail down the basics!
    -J