Regaining Range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tjm127, Apr 13, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    tjm,
    Everything everyone is saying here is pretty solid.
    I can tell you from personal experience ... had a chipped tooth in high school.. front tooth .. first chair .. decent range blah blah ...got a temprary cap... I couldn't play a note .. nothing... I had them file it and got up to a C.. but it was brutal ... then they put in the permanent I could play again .. but my sound would literally cut out at High E ... then in college the cap broke off.. thank God I had the instructor I did.. he said to make sure I get a stainless steel backed porceline cap because the THICKNESS of the cap effects range ... new cap.. finally double C's within a month... Hallejulah a miracle...
    so FOR ME .. this was the case .. FOR ME
    That doesn't mean you are doomed by a retainer or anything like that.. but you might be affected by it.
    IMHO

Do you take off your retainer when you play?
    Is the retainer causing swelling?

2. tjm127

tjm127 New Friend

Jan 22, 2011
    I take it off when I play, and no swelling. I just think - knowing nothing, really - that it doesn't make much sense that it didn't impact me at all for months, and then one day my chops shut down, due to a retainer mouth shift. It would be more gradual, no? (That's what I'm guessing, anyway.)