Regarding my first lesson

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gxman, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Hi guys,

well i did my first lesson and safe to say, there was things i didnt understand why, however i did not question it either as recommended here because he does know what he is doing.

So.... i dont remember the name of the guy that signed up here not long ago, but he has those 5 free videos for embouchure, airstream, articulation etc. He says most people are taught to lip buzz then explains why not to lip buzz.

So i sat in on my lesson and got told to buzz on mouthpiece, took a bit before i got it to buzz as i wasnt used to it. He also explained why to buzz which also makes sense. Buzzing on mouthpiece creates a very controlled, rich, clear sound. By being able to play all the notes on the mouthpiece ensures good playing for the notes once you plug it into the trumpet. The trumpet is there to amplify what comes out of the mouthpiece. You need to control the trumpet not it controlling you.

I also with my entire embouchure quest here... was told my lips push out. He said exposing all the red part of lip is no good. Said to say DIM. Now keep that shape and use the muscles for support not tighten the skin to play as such. This also helps with the buzz.

His notes are absolutely amazing and clear when he plays so that itself makes sense. However im just trying to cross reference this with this youtube guy saying the opposite and whatever else.

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Not much value comparing a specific comment made to a live pupil with a generic comment made into a camera.

3. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    You have four ways to go here, 1, talk to you tutor about what you have read and seen and ask nicely why he teaches something different if his answer doesn't satisfy you then think again, 2, watch all the internet you can and go your own sweet way, 3 trust your tutor, (for me the best option) or 4 worrit around not trusting anyone looking for a silver bullet to make you play how you think you want

I think you know the best way.

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Forget about the internet. Listen to your teacher.

5. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
  6. mush-mouth

mush-mouth Pianissimo User

Aug 3, 2009
    The one thing I've learned about reading trumpet forums is for each valid method of playing there is an equally valid yet contradictory method. If there was one right method then every great player would be using it, right?

Then I think you already know whatcha need to do.

I think it's pretty simple: Greg found what works for him so that's what he decided to teach. Your teacher found what works for him so that's what he has decided to teach. And that goes to the first part of my comment. As for why? Who knows. Why does the sun rise in the East? Why do we call it "meat"?

7. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    What exactly is it you're looking for? Why do you search for contrary stuff when you should be doing what you're told. Quit looking for loopholes and do what your teacher says and then, come back and tell us in a month or two AFTER SOME SERIOUS HARD WORK . There are no shortcuts. No mouthpiece, teacher, or horn will make you any good if you waste time second guessing the instructions.
    Not exactly what you want to hear but I hope it helps.
    Dr.Mark

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    There are a couple of schools of thought that sound contradictory when it comes to buzzing.

The James Stamp school advocates buzzing the mouthpiece and the lips, but under tightly controlled conditions. Held near the end of the shank it emulates our normal playing position, is great for ear training. It teaches us not to telegraph our note changes, teaching a gliss as close as instantaneously as possible between notes. It also extends into bends, making it possible to play a scale from C in the staff to C above the staff. In this case, the work is done by the buzz and the trumpet works as an amplifier. If done correctly it can have great merit; if done badly (especially lip buzzing) can mess us up. I had a friend that was a second generation Stamp student and he showed me some things about it that made for a super workout near the end of the book.

The Bill Adam approach is to buzz the pipe. His students would remove the main tuning slide and play a note using just the mouthpiece and leadpipe. Here one can bend up and down to find the most resonant part of the leadpipe—the note will feel tight and sound compact. Moving to the next partial upwards the feeling will be about the same, even though it is not a perfect fifth (this due to having no bell) but will still have about the same resistance.

The question then becomes “Who is right?” The Vulgano Zen answer is “Mu.” The question should be and remain unasked. Truth is, both are right, and a combination of the two shows us how the trumpet works.

At the beginning of the note the buzzing lips bring the air column into a sympathetic vibration if we are buzzing correctly (which the Stamp method is all about) this happens quickly. Then, the vibrating air column starts buzzing the lips (what the Adam approach is all about.) At this point the instrument “plays us.”

We use Stamp for the beginning of the note and Adam for the middle and end. Our instrument acts both as a megaphone and a vibrating column of air. Usually we teach what worked for us, and often the best teachers are those that have fought the instrument way more than “natural” players. As a teacher I taught both mouthpiece buzzing and pipe buzzing to my students. What a teacher teaches is based in part with what helped them the most and/or where the student is the weakest.

Neither Stamp or Adam were wrong, just different.

9. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Look at all of his posts. It is always about over analysis, mouthpieces and loopholes.
    Finally he gets some real instruction, but now he doesn't want to fully listen to what the only person in the world who can accurately help him wants to teach.