Regarding recording

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Dutch Guy, Nov 21, 2009.

1. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Yeah, I know, but the H4 sound isn't exactly studio quality! It depends on what quality you want! I use the H4 a lot for practicing and live concerts:-) A studio mic don't have to cost 3 times your trumpet though:lol:

2. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    so, what are the cheapest ones? (with decent quality)
    I don't need it to be perfect, but good enough to make an MP3 of, and put in on my MP3 player and listen to it, and enjoy it at the same time

3. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    The simplest way to do this is to download Audacity (which is free, open source software).
    Then get an aanlogue to digital converter for your microphone so you can attach it to your computer or get a USB microphone.

This was recorded very quickly yesterday using a USB microphone and audacity:

YouTube - The One Man Brass Band

I do a lot of multi track recording using audacity, but mainly of woodwind. The three main issues are noise reduction, reverb and placing the instruments in the stereo pan. These are all easily possible in audacity once you are used to it.

4. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    @ gordonH
    now that sounds like it fit's in my budget.
    could you give me a link or something to a site that sells them?

5. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    Here is a woodwind quintet recording. All tracks played by me and recorded seperately with the first one played against a click track (Audacity can generate a click track):

YouTube - Minuetto from Eine Kleine Nachtmusik played by Penny Whistle Quintet (Tin Whistle)

This was before I had my noise reduction techniques honed.

Here is how I currently record:

1. I generate a click track (sometimes just for the first few bars so I can have two bars of clicks before I start playing).

2. I record a few seconds of silence as a separate track and name it "background" (important for later on).

3. I put on my headphones with only one ear covered so I can hear myself and the click track. Then record the first track with two bars of click track intro. (Audacity has to be set to "overdub" so you can hear while recording).

4. I then record all the other tracks. If I am recording french horn then the microphone has to be moved so I take another short track of silence for use later.

5. Once all the tracks are recorded I go through each one and use the noise reduction filter in Audacity to reduce the noise. To do this I use the background noise sample I recorded earlier as the source sample that the filter needs to do its work. I also name each track "track1", "track" 2 etc.

6. Go through each track separately (set as "solo") and silence the bits before I start playing plus any gaps for bars rest. Then trim them all to the same length.

7. It may be necessary at this point to use the envelope tool to make changes to any bits that are too loud or to modify the balance.

8. Place the instruments in the stereo pan (left to right) to get the best sound.

9. I then duplicate all the tracks and mark them as "Track 1 Reverb" "Track 2 Reverb" etc
    Move them up the list so they appear below the original copies.
    Then apply the "gverb" filter to these copies.

10. Set the gain of the reverb copies to -21db as a starting point. This should add just enough wetness to overcome a dead room. If you bring it up to -18db or above you will find you sound like you are playing in a cathedral.

11. If you find there is too much space at the beginning of the recording just highlight all the tracks and use the move button to drag them to the left (only works in latest version of audacity).

Now try playing it back.

All the data is still there and you can play around with levels and envelopes as required.

If you save the track as a .wav file they will be instantly mixed together and ready to burn to a CD. If you use Nero, it can be set to normalise tracks as it burns which gives the best results.

You might also want to apply an equalisation to all the tracks like the RIAA standard (which can be done using the equalisation tool provided with Audacity). I don't usually bother with this though.

6. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    I use this:

MXL USB.006 USB Cardioid Condenser Microphone

It comes with a really basic stand and I found that a cheap shock mount and a better stand made a huge difference.
    This is a mono microphone. I don't see the point of using a stereo microphone for a recording where you are going to do a stereo mix of multiple instruments.

These can be quite expensive to buy. I got mine when the exchange rate was 2:1. Thomann also do USB microphones that seem to be as good so if you are in Europe it might be a cheaper route.

7. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    And here is a link to Audacity:

Audacity: Download

Download the 1.3 Beta version as it is much easier to use than the old 1.2. I have been using the Beta for a while and it has been totally reliable.

I know there are other programmes that are better but this is a good free solution.

8. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    thanks for the link.

I did a search on the internet, and found THIS:
    Samson Audio - C03U

is a USB microphone, around 100 Euros (up to 200 including all the accessories, but should I buy it, I'll take just the microphone, no accessories)
    would this be something I can do the stuff I want to do with? (in combination with Audacity)

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Nice wig, guitar playing and stage name, Jon Petter. And your English is terrific! Who knew?

veery

10. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland

Presumably it would work as audacity will work with any USB device. However the marshall one has an attenuator built in which is useful.