Regarding recording

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Dutch Guy, Nov 21, 2009.

1. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    A nice alternative to Audacity is Reaper, which I prefer.
    REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits

If you're looking at good, reasonably priced mic that does a good job on brass, look at the Cascade Fat Head II ribbons.
    Cascade FAT HEAD II Ribbon Microphone

Oh, BTW, you generally need more than just a ADC (analog to digital converter) - something needs to act as a preamp for the microphone. USB mics have them built in I think.

2. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    I think you're right.
    for a 'regular' microphone I need a new sound card for my computer that can give phantom power. the cheapest one that is considered any good is about 140 euros, if I remember correctly. Then I still need the microphone.

That cascade thing looks nice, but it's a little above my budget. I was hoping to get everything I need for less then 150 euros.

I suppose I should get a USB microphone in that case. I've seen some affordable ones posted here, and found some others on the internet.

I'll check out the Reaper software later today

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    You can buy an inexpensive in-line phantom power source. There is a Behringer model PS400 which uses AC for under $30.

veery

4. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
  5. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Nice first attempt. If you plan on doing much of that stuff for public posting, you really need to get a better microphone and use some effects such as a bit of reverb and equalization (tone control).

6. Mark4008

Mark4008 New Friend

May 7, 2009
    thats a very nice recording, well done!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  7. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    It looks like thats what he used! In the bottom of the list on the video picture.:-)

8. Mark4008

Mark4008 New Friend

May 7, 2009
    yes thanks Jon, I originally posted before I had read all the posts re Audacity! that'll teach me to look before I leap!

9. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    I'm still not sure how to do effects.
    I did this by makin a click track and record while playing that, then record the next one while playing the click track and the first recording and so on. I figured out how to copy paste, and 'replace' parts that didn't go so well the first time by a new recorded part. I've figured out how to make it an .mp3, a .wav and a video file for youtube, and that's pretty much all I know.

10. beautgrainger147

beautgrainger147 Pianissimo User

Aug 6, 2009
    Rotherham
    out of interest what is a click track?
    I've had a play with audacity myself trying to similate lead with backing vocals