Region music problem, not sure what to do here?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mummytuf, Sep 6, 2013.

1. mummytuf

mummytuf New Friend

Aug 8, 2011
    Hi!
    My problem is this.
    On a piece of my region music, I have a lot of measures containing sixth teen notes that are articulated with a staccato above it. My tonguing and articulation is fine in a lower register but higher register its very sloppy unless I take it slow. I've been told to learn how to double tongue to play this parts but honestly I can not have a clean double tongue in about 2 months time or to even learn how to double tongue properly. The tempo of the piece is allegretto affettuoso which is pretty fast.
    Here are my options
    1) I can slow the piece down below the tempo given and play it to where I am comfortable
    or
    2) I just go for it, play it sloppy but meet the audition standards.

What I'm doing right now is just practicing my articulation and trying to learn double tonguing. Both of these I can not do overnight and will take quite some time. Not sure what to do here, any help is appreciated, thanks!

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    First rule of fast tonguing is to relax the tongue. It is counterintuitive, but letting our tongue "melt in our mouths" gets the tonguing gets cleaner. The other is practicing with the "ku" attack, getting it to be as clean as the "tu" attack.

The tongue is a pretty amazing muscle (pound for pound among the strongest.) Our goal should be to make it tired to the point of exhaustion when practising.

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    This the the result of trying to learn to play tunes instead of learning to play the trumpet. Fundamentals.

You should single tongue those 16ths in the 6/8 Voxman Etude. Check out Micah's TMEA website, he has videos of all three.
    2013-2014 TMEA Texas All-State Trumpet Etude #1 - YouTube

I think he's taking it a little slow, but it's not fast enough to need to double tongue.

4. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    And when you can't be on your horn keep repeating tu-ku-tu-ku over and over again. Don't rely on pressure releases (only way I can describe it) to manage the tu-ku--just your tongue, free and easy. Relax and one day it will all seem to click--that's when you begin to work on keeping it clean and crisp.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I wasn't that impressed with the video--staccato means "separate" rather than "short."

6. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I used to have horrendous problems with double tonguing until I dropped the idea of a Tu Ku attack. The problem being my accent, a mix of flat East Yorkshire and a few Scottish Consonants picked up on early life holidays. So my Ku as a long way down into my throat. So I now think Ti Ki with a very relaxed tongue it has helped me to conquer most of my double and triple problems My biggest piece of advice is to keep the airflow constant through the atriculation.

I also have to disagree with Jiarby a little if you don't learn to play tunes then there is little point in playing no one will go to a concet hall to listen to you play through Arban no matter how well you do it. There has to be a balance between tech work and piece work.

Tend to agree with VB on the video the notes were a little pecked at rather than a nice full staccato (separate) sound.

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    So there is a light at the end of the tunnel!!! Really? Is that it???? Never got anywhere with 'ku' because my tongue isn't involved at all, and there's nothing controlling the airflow but my lip.

Got really fast at single tonguing and a sly quiet flutter-tongue!

8. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Actually there was a discusion on here a while ago about how accent can affect double tongueing in the visualisation of what migh be called phonically based articulation, Da Ga, Tu Ku, etc It brought out some interesting discusion.

So you are not tonguing at all but going Pu Pu Pu into the mouth piece, sorry don't quite get what you mean, how do you attack a single tongue without involving your tongue. I'm probably being thick but I'm not sure what you mean about your "toungue isn't involved at all":dontknow:

9. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Slow/low double tonguing= Dah Gah

Fast high tonguing= Dee Gee

If your passage is fast and high, don't worry about playing the notes short, just play them clean and in tempo.

10. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Too dogmatic for me there are other options available to us all, this is only one method