Region music problem, not sure what to do here?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mummytuf, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    No, my single tonguing for standard attack is a straightforward Arban 'tu' with my tongue (not the tip!) trapping air at the front of my palate. Maybe rolling back towards the palatial ridge for a softer 'du-du-du' attack.

But for 'ku', my tongue's nowhere near the roof of my mouth so no stop and no release. 'ki-ki-ki' seems to get something near the back of my palate, but just feels weird.

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I get you sorry, erm I find like you the Ku doesn't get my tongue any where near in the right place and the sound and air gets stuck in my throat. I wouldn't think it's too much of a problem for you I find I need to have the K almost as far forward in my mouth as I can.

3. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    My problem is this.
    On a piece of my region music, The tempo of the piece is allegretto affettuoso which is pretty fast.
    Here are my options
    1) I can slow the piece down below the tempo given and play it to where I am comfortable
    or
    2) I just go for it, play it sloppy but meet the audition standards.
    ---------
    Don't forget the third option. Listen to VB about tonguing and play it like it is written.
    ---------
    Singing, talking, and playing the trumpet. There's not a lot of difference when it comes to articulation.
    Please Try This:
    Put the horn down and verbalize the song by saying ta,ta or whatever articulation method you tend to lean toward. When you do this, it is not important to sing the notes, just articulate the notes with your speaking voice. When you do this, notice how loose and flexible your tongue is. You should have no problems doing this. In fact, if you watch your tongue in the mirror while doing this, it almost flicks and moves with amazing ability.
    Now, play it with the trumpet. Notice how clumsy the tongue gets? There's a good chance that some of the articulations are more like "tat" "tat" "tat" instead of "taaaa" "taaa" "taaa".
    Play a 4 or 6 measures of 16th notes and notice where the tongue is "BEFORE" you tongue and "AFTER" you tongue. The tongue does not stop the air as much as it interups the air. The tip of the tongue or the back of the tongue does not start out from the roof of the mouth. Notice how hard your tongue is. Can you imagine trying to talk or sing with a tongue so stiff it could chip ice?!?. Play it like you'd say it. What I've done in a very long winded way is to say what VB said: The first rule of fast tonguing is to relax the tongue.
    Dr.Mark

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    For the Pu attack to work, the chops need to be in the correct position to play, and quite a bit more sophisticated than the breath attack.

5. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
  6. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Don't worry about it VB I just misunderstood what Seth meant

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Your problem is actually believing this. If you really believe this than you are defeated.

But say "I can have a clean double tongue in about 2 months"... and truly believe this... and you will make it so.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The problem with Ti Ki is that it makes you smile... and tends to dimimish the final outflow track at the lip/mouthpiece interface [or in-your-face]. The Tu Ku attack opens this up... lots... So when playing higher notes you don't have to work so hard. What you got to do Cornyandy to make this work, is to relax your lips...

Shall I paint you a picture of this... in oil... and send it to you in SEVERAL months after it DRYS?

9. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Funny G-man I can see where you are coming from with the Ti Ki making you smile but truth is it doesn't for me and what I do seems to work.

What I'm getting at it more not anchoring the Ku low in the throat which seems to be a common problem but making the movement as light and crisp as possible, with a heavy TU KU that is difficult in initial perception of what is needed. My teacher uses Da Ga but is more interested in what works for the individual than a particular hard line style

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I actually like to use Du Gu...

Got the idea from one of my patients that kept saying Gu Gu... And I just changed the first sylabol... One of the benefits to being a pediatrician, where our motto is: "better to be pissed off than to be pissed on".