Region music problem, not sure what to do here?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mummytuf, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Trouble is these consonants like hard c and hard g are formed differently by different people so just writing out the syllable doesn't actually mean anything physical.

It's like our word mkpumkpu. It's phonetically meaningless to you because European languages never use 'm' as a vowel and no language outside Africa has the consonant 'kp' (which is no more than a half-arsed european symbolic approximation). You wouldn't even get the 'u' right.

Now a description of exactly how the tongue moves relative to the palate for your 'ku' - might be able to do something with that!

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Not trying to be racist or anything, but it does seem trumpeters whose mother-tongue is one of the Romance languages have a slightly easier time tonguing than most. Mendez, Andre, Arban....

3. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    You forget you roots Seth KP is in use in the English language it means frustrating arrogant South African Batsman.

As for the contact point for me any way (and I REALLY agree with how useless consonant sounds can be) part of my tongue contacts about 3/4 back on my hard pallatte and adjusts slightly for range and umph for me now it is so instinctive (after years of hard glottal Ku Ku Ku s it is difficult to really explain how easily it comes now actually by forgeting the phonics of it and allowing my tongue to find two comfortable contact points which it can almost rock between. One is behind the teeth (the Arban Tu) the other is on the hard pallate. That works for me and the closest I cna explain in phonic terms is ti ki. I would agree in hindsight with G Man, ti ki isn't quite right but is as close as I can come to explaining how I do it and what works for me.

For me the tongue moves onto the pallatte and the pallate stays still to provide the "hard point"

4. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Interesting thread guys. Nothing to contribute to the comments on tonguing from wiser heads, but I am wondering Andy - though you have issues with your Yorkie accent and Tu-Ku-Tu-ing, do you have a natural advantage doing an "eeeeeeeeeeee" shape for high notes? :-)

5. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    'appen-ayup, 'appen-ayup, 'appen-ayup (pause) sithEEEEEEEE!

Aye

:D

6. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Not really that's more the wessies. I'm an East Riding lad (well not so much lad) but the vowels tend to be flatter

I ask the question If I asked you what a Fern Curl is how many would get it.

7. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    I dread to think what it might be. Maybe it was an oath uttered by Darren Lehman and there was a "k" dropped in transcription? Something to do with telecommunications? :-)

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

Sounds like something I would lance with a #11 blade.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    [​IMG]

10. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Is that a curl on a curdless fern?