Rehearsal bands in NYC

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by IzzyGoldberg, Jan 24, 2010.

1. IzzyGoldberg

IzzyGoldberg New Friend

Feb 17, 2009
    New York City
    Dear members of the forum,

Are there any rehearsal bands in NYC that meet on a regular basis? I am looking for anything jazz or Afro-Cuban oriented. Thus far my attempts at finding one have not borne fruit, and I find this quite disheartening.

I'm trying to get as much section playing/sight reading practice as I can.

Your help is appreciated.

Daniel

2. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Hi Daniel,

Did I just play with you last night at Fat Cat?

You may want to go to Boys Harbor Conservatory on Monday nights for their Big Band Afro Cuban Rehearsal Band.......its on 104th or 105th st and 5th avenue.....starts at 6. Its free and you will play the book of Machito, Puente and all the standard big band material. You also get to hang with many of the players who play the music around town.

All the best to you.

Oscar

3. IzzyGoldberg

IzzyGoldberg New Friend

Feb 17, 2009
    New York City
    Hey Oscar,

What a coincidience ! (and what perfect timing, as I was just about to email you regarding this subject).

It was a pleasure playing with you the other night. You sounded fantastic !

Thank you for the advice- it's exactly what I needed.

Looking forward to playing with you again.

Danny

4. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    Danny -

Hi. (And sorry I missed your PM).

I'm kind of out of the loop as far as rehearsal bands. The groups that I play with usually just rehearse before a gig or if a writer arranges something new. In older days there used to be more of that stuff but it seems to have dwindled (like everything else).

Thanks -
    Tony

5. IzzyGoldberg

IzzyGoldberg New Friend

Feb 17, 2009
    New York City
    Thank you Tony :)

6. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Hi Danny,

Man, small world!

You had asked me about suggested listening for Chocolate Armenteros. I would go to Music Downloads, MP3 Downloads, MP3 songs from eMusic.com and do a search for his recordings. They have a "best of" compilation which is great. I would also suggest the Chocolate en Sexteto recording which they sell...GREAT playing.

As for the play along material for Cuban music. I would get a play along by California based pianist Rebecca Mauleon called "Afro-Cuban Dance Party". It has great tracks and it also has plenty of the more modern rythms that are popular today. You also should get a play along by Manny Patino called "afro Cuban grooves". I play thru the Patino tracks(like 50 of them) every day as it has just about every style and popular key you will run into on a Cuban jam session type gig.

Look forward to seeing you around town!

Oscar

7. IzzyGoldberg

IzzyGoldberg New Friend

Feb 17, 2009
    New York City
    Hey Oscar,

Thank you so much for the information (and inspiration).

Danny

8. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Hey Danny,

You may want to get together for some studies with Itai Kris.....he has learned this music from "scratch" and really understands the music from a theoritical and spiritual angle.....he amazes me more and more every time I hear him play.

Be good,

Oscar