Reinhardt Plastic Mouthpiece?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joe44, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    I have a plastic mouthpiece that says PIVOT SYSTEM and has a number 4. It is white in color and is fairly old. My great uncle (Lyle Van Wie) was one of Doc's students and says these mps are very rare. I haven't been able to find any other examples on the computer except for one picture. Is anyone here at TM familiar with these mouthpieces. I would like to know more about them (maybe how many were made, when etc.)

2. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    I don't know a whole lot about them, but I have a set of three. One trumpet (#3), one cornet (#3), and a small shank trombone (#6). Mine are a cream color. They play pretty well, actually. I bought the set on eBay a few years ago for $10.

They are rare in the fact that manufacturing stopped on them several years ago, but I've seen a few here and there over the past 20 years. I believe Doc Reinhardt wanted a consistent series of mouthpieces for his students to play (hence the reason they were made).

3. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    What do you mean by consistent series? That these mouthpieces were the same (larger or smaller scale) for the different brass instruments they were produced for?

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Sounds to me like someone was using Delrin early. Aging does turn original white to a creamish coloration, moreso were they prior used by a smoker vis nicotine stain.

5. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    Weren't Reinhardt mouthpieces made with ABS plastic?

Garry

6. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Sure I've heard this song before...

I don’t care if it rains soft or hard
    Long as I got me a Plastic Reinhardt
    Sittin’ on the leadpipe of my horn

:-)

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  8. TrumpetMan17

TrumpetMan17 New Friend

Feb 13, 2013
    Joe44,

I was a student of Doc's back in the 60s and 70s. I have several of the yellowish, cream colored, mouthpieces. I'm playing on a #2 (shallow) Trumpet, and a #4 Cornet (medium), and #6 Cornet (deep) for my Flugelhorn. Doc didn't make Flugelhorn mouthpieces. I also have a #2 Trombone mpc that I used to double on occasionally.

Even more interesting, my Father bought a ML bore Benge Trumpet from your great uncle, Lyle Van Wie, in NYC around 1963-1964. I still have the horn. It's still great. My dad was working in NYC at the time and met with Lyle to purchase the horn. The deal was set up by Doc for me and Lyle. I never met Lyle but would certainly like to chat with him. If he's interested in chatting with me please send me a private message with contact information.

Thanks,
    Paul

9. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    Even more interesting, he told me yesterday that he gave sold or gave away some of his instruments and he wished he hadn't. I will ask him if he wants to talk. It might help if I knew your father's name (he would be more willing to talk I'm sure). Maybe PM me? I'll have to call him in a few days. See what I can do ;-).