REKA Cleaning set

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eclipsehornplayer, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    If anyone was/still is wondering I put this kit to the test.

I first cleaned out both my horns with a standard bach Trumpet snake kit and then washed them both out. Some gunk came out I thought Ok that is that.

I then used the REKA Cleaning kit I bought after reading about it here on this site.

WOW. I could not believe my eyes. I never seen so much crap come out of an instrument. It was like I was snaking out a sewage pipe as disgusting as that sounds.

I let my Cornet and Trumpet dry and then polished them oiled them etc...,

Well then I played them, holy cow! It's like my horns were reaching the notes I was playing before I got to them. Wow what a difference in response. I have just become a loyal REKA Cleaning set user for life!

Just thought I'd pass that one on!

It is important to keep your instruments in clean working order and I'm fanatical about it!

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hi John,

Tootsall told me about REKA.

I just got one a couple of weeks ago and I'm a user now too.

Good item...good gift.

-cw-

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    John, did you buy the company yet? (Isn't that how Victor Kiam got his start?) :D

4. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Well, as apealing as that sounds.... I have a capitol problem.

Lest you forget that I am in my second marriage with children from my first! :-P

5. MrLT

MrLT Pianissimo User

Jul 12, 2005
    Manchester UK
    These kits certainly get to the parts other cleaners don't reach - especially the snake. its ideally suited to cleaning Eclipses, with no tuning slide after the leadpipe, which is why they're supplied free with the horns. I don't know where to get the kits so when one wears out I have to buy a new Eclipse horn to get another. Thats my excuse and i'm sticking to it! :D

6. frank

frank Piano User

May 28, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Do you want me to tell you where to get them?!? :evil:

7. MrLT

MrLT Pianissimo User

Jul 12, 2005
    Manchester UK
    Go ahead frank....make my day! :twisted:

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I discovered the joy of playing clean trumpets after sucking through my Conn Director cornet during a boring spot in a basketball game and feeling a green glob hit the back of my throat. I mixed up the valves (not noticing the 1,2,3 stamped on them) and had some scary moments putting the horn back together. My German chemist brother-in-law suggested the following for a gentle chemical cleaning: Fill the insrument with warm water and a knife-tip of powdered vitamin C (the real reason for BERPS is to close off the leadpipe) and let it soak, then rinse. Do the same with baking soda to kill the acid and rinse.