Relacquer or replate?(avoid if your connection is slow)

Discussion in 'Horns' started by bigaggietrumpet, Jan 27, 2005.

1. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Ok, so if you read the Overhaul (oops) thread, you'll notice there was a conversation about whether or not my Studio needed to be relacquered or replated. For reasons unknown, I didn't think to post a pic to help. I saved the pics from the eBay auction I bought it from. So, as best as possible, can anyone tell me if I just need to have it relacquered or replated?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm sorry if it took 3 hours to load

2. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    There's no plating on it now, so it can't be REplated.

3. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    so I'm guessing the obvious (to those who actually know) answer would be relacquering?

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I don't think that it is obvious. I was talking to a friend of mine who does brass work and he seemed to think that for my horn, which is already silver plated but is wearing pretty badly in some places, that replating was the way to go. But also keep in mind that lacquering would entail stripping the remaining plating off, which could be a bit of a pain.

The real question is what would you prefer? I originally asked him about lacquer because for some reason the ph of the sweat in my hands is murder on silver plating, but lacquer seems to hold up very well.

5. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    I want this horn back in original condition. Unfortunately, I don't have a color picture of what one in original condition looks like. Otherwise this'd be a cinch.

I have the ph problem myself. I murder silver horns, and I took quite a bit of the lacquer off of my Holton, as well.

6. RichN

RichN Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2004
    UK (Mids)
  7. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Man, thank you!:worthy:

I must admit, though, I'm kinda surprised. I'd always thought of the horn having the more golden colored lacquer on it. Still a beautiful horn, though.

8. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Oooohh.... nice :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I of course, made an avatar of it ;-)

Jim

9. RichN

RichN Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2004
    UK (Mids)
    A pleasure to be of service. If you look at the pictures with filenames starting 'dscn', they seem to have a much darker gold-coloured lacquer but in worse condition. My suspicion is that these are of teh trumpet pre-restoration. Could also be the lighting used in the photo studio - if a blue-ish light was used, I think it would make the trumpet look less 'gold'.

Rich.

10. dave_59

dave_59 New Friend

Jan 12, 2005
    nooooo....dont do it. keep it in its current conditon. Theres nothing like a vintage horn with its original finish.
    dave