Relacquering

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dwp63, Apr 21, 2009.

1. dwp63

dwp63 Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2009
    Can I relacquer a horn with the slides in place or should I remove them first and relacquer them separate?
    Also, What can I do to remove the old musty smell from an old trumpet. Tried cleaning with dishwasher soap and leaving out in the sun several days but can't get rid of that odor.

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I would send the horn out to be relacquered. Doing it yourself with no experience doing so will be difficult.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    As far as the musty smell, a trumpet is made from metal and if clean really can't stink. Vinegar is good to get the brass cleaned up. Take the horn apart and let it soak for 10 minutes then rinse well, and if necessary rewash with dishwasher liquid/water.

As far as the relaquer goes, it depends what you are trying to accomplish, and how you are laquering. I would take it apart in any case, plug up all of the holes with corks or something and then go for it. I hope your intentions are purely decorative (like for a lamp or something). Home paint jobs don't hold up very well. Depending what laquer you use, and how thick it is applied, you can also destroy the response and brilliance of the sound.

My favorite color is RED!

Good luck!

4. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I have used a SMALL amount of bleach in a tub of water, SMALL like a teaspoon in two gallons, clean the horn well first, rinse, dry, then start over. Soak it an hour or so, then clean (snake out etc) again. SMALL amount.....

5. dwp63

dwp63 Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2009
    I have already stripped the existing lacquer and polished it with Maas polish. It turned out looking pretty good. I don't know wether to relacquer it to keep the finger prints off or just to keep polishing it as it needs it. It's a Pan American and sounds pretty good to me also. I plan on playing it. Has anybody tried relacquering themselves?

6. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Laqcuering requires the horn to be totally chemically degreased. Each fingerprint will show like crazy when it is relaqcuered.
    It also requires a steady hand and very even coating to ensure you get no drip marks or pooling.

7. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Let's put it this way.... For lacquering you need a professional sprayer, oven , and 30 years experience. I know for a fact many great techs send the horns they work on to one guy who is known for great lacquer skills.

8. dwp63

dwp63 Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2009
    My question is has anybody done it themself?

9. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

When I worked as an instrument technician I refinished a lot of horns. The lacquer job was done in a totally dustproof spray booth with a waterfall air cleaner. The spray gun had a seperate air filtration system and was cleaned thoroughly after every spray job. The horn then went into a specialty oven to 'set' the lacquer. I would never try to do a back yard or basement job of spraying a horn.

OLDLOU>>

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I painted a tuba once. Made a nice umbrella stand................