Relacquering

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dwp63, Apr 21, 2009.

1. dwp63

dwp63 Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2009
    Thanks for the advice, Lou. I knew I would get the proper advice from a " senior citizen". Do you think I should have it lacquered or just leave it alone?

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

You have not told us what make and model trumpet you are referring to. In addition, 'WHY' you are considering a relacquer job. If yours is a run of the mill student grade or intermediate horn of no exceptional collectors value the cost of having a pro do the strip, polish and relacquer would be money thrown away. If it is a rare collectable that is intended solely for display it 'might' be a good thing. If it is a fine playing pro grade horn that you intend to use ongoingly, then, why? A relacquer will do NOTHING for its musicality!! Many of us play older horns that are no real jewels cosmetically, but, they sound glorious and we have no intention of ever doing any non functional beautification. A trumpet or cornet is an accumilation of metallic plumbing, designed to make beautiful music, nothing more. Have I answered your question?

OLDLOU>>

3. dwp63

dwp63 Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2009
    Thanks Lou. I was just experimenting with an old Conn Pan American. Took some of the dings out, straighten the bell, freed-up all the valves and slides and decided to strip and polish it. It turned out looking pretty good and sounds surprisingly well also. All the slides and valves work great now. I plan on keeping and playing it.I have attached some pictures. What do you think? Should I have it lacquered or just let it stay as is?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  4. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    I was a pro for 25 years.... what Lou said: it is a big PIA, runs, spiderwebbing, blushing, bubbling, etc.