Relative ease of playing a trumpet vs cornet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blind Bruce, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    I do not mean to circumvent my teacher, just want more opinions.
    Given a baseline of a trumpet, being of a certain ease of playing, (slotting, intonation, etc., is the cornet easier? What about a pocket trumpet or fluglehorn?

2. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Having played a number of different cornets and trumpets I guess I'd say that any effort to generalize about relative ease of play would be meaningless, given the variation between brands, designs, individual horns, and horn/mouthpiece combinations. Also, a horn one person may find "easy" to play may not give the same exprience to someone else. Now I'm curious to know why you're asking the question.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    My experience in general is that cornets are slightly easier to play technical stuff on, but are slightly harder to play in the upper register and don't project as well. Usually the more conical the bore, the looser the slotting, too.

4. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    I have found with my Cornet I have to be bang on the note, there is "muscleing" notes around on the Cornet like you can on a Bb horn.

I find if I practice a few days on my Cornet it helps me with my Bb.

But that may just be me.

5. dpritchett

dpritchett New Friend

Aug 26, 2009
    OH,CANADA...eh!
    I've played on all the instruments you listed, and several different versions of each. Generally speaking(because of variation of horns) The flugel is freeblowing in the staff, but above staff it gets a little more difficult. I love playing my flugelhorn.
    Pockett trumpets are just plain weird to play on. Only good if you're going on a trip and need to take something with you to keep your lips in shape.
    I play regularly on cornet and trumpet. I completly agree with what Dale Proctor said.
    They are different instruments with unique characteristics.
    If it helps, I'm going to start my son on a cornet.

6. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    Glen,I asked only because I am looking for an excuse to buy a cornet and I REALLY like the thought of a flugal in my stable. I am a player however and (probably) will not buy anything if it is out of my playing level at this time.

7. Darthsunshine

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Ah! Well then, I'd echo what Dale said about the difference, at least as it applies to my Olds Ambassador cornets and my King Master Model. Also, there are differences that transcend ease of play, which makes it fun to have examples of each of the horns you mention. It would probably be easiest to start with a modest cornet, like an Ambassador, and see what you think. There are lots of them on ebay, and most go for very reasonable prices. You just need to be careful to read the description and ask some particular questions about slides & valves. So, consider this an excuse to join the ranks of horn collectors!

8. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Bruce,

Don't look for excuses. Find a real reason to get one. Join a brass band. Or a concert band. Play Arban. Whatever. There is so many possibilities.

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Then you'll start looking for a better one, 'cause that old cheap cornet you bought won't hack it ...:D

10. Darthsunshine

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    ... and then you'll have your second cornet for your collection. That, in turn, will lead to looking for your third... and fourth.... Don't worry. Even though you won't know when to stop, your family and friends will eventually stage an intervention :lol: