Relaxed embouchure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by reedy, Jun 12, 2011.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    2 hours is a great practice, having a trumpet player as a teacher is great ((as long as he/she realizes that you are a different individual, and you might not be able to things exactly the way he/she does))
    I think the idea of a "relaxed embouchure" is that the face and corners are pretty much "rock solid" and hold the middle part of your lips that vibrate in place -- so "relaxed" doesn't exactly mean -- flacid.

here - try and check out this guy Keith Fiala -- he has a lot of vids on youtube -- that try to show and demonstrate -- a FIRM, but relaxed embouchure --

hey I hope this helps.

Trumpet High Note Help, Trumpet Lessons Online, Beginning Trumpet Lessons, Trumpet Books,

2. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    My question is do I Expand the range of my relaxed setting and take over from my normal one? or do I get rid of it and have a firmer tighter emb?

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you were my student, I would not even talk about it. You would get the Earl Irons lip flexibility book, some demonstrations by me and we would let intelligent practice let you gravitate to what is best for you without having to intellectualize something that there is no clear answer for.

You have a teacher that knows your face. Why ask internet acquaintances that know NOTHING about you. Want them to guess what to do.

4. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    I know what you mean but me just 'getting on with it' has given me this second more relaxed setting which only comes into play in the lower register from middle G downwards.

I've now finished Uni for the year and so no longer have a teacher for over the summer which is why I brought my question here :)

I think I am just gonna have to bash out the lip slurs and let my face find whats right

5. mandyg233

mandyg233 New Friend

Jun 4, 2011
    New Jersey
    I agree with rowuk, whatever you gravitate to. However (and I'm not sure if this is right) a firmer embouchure would seem better so that you can hit the higher notes.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    just put the horn to your face --- and play:D

7. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    In a nutshell.:play:

8. MiniBryan

MiniBryan Pianissimo User

Jun 6, 2011
    Texas
    Rest your chops for a while and PLAY =)

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    +1 Rowuk ...
    I was doing the 20 minute Cat A warmups and found myself thinking too much about the embrouchure position ... in fairness to the method I didn't have an instructor or the book explaining how to use it...
    I always plug the inteval exercises starting on pg 125 of the Arbans ... something to check with your teacher... like the slurring // it's hard to change mouth position and be able to play the intervals smooth..
    lastly .... I guess you can call it a "perception" as it is not how the horn works... I "feel " like I am aiming my airstream lower towards the center of the mouthpice on lower tones ... why it worked for me I can't tell you .... but it seems to ..
    keep us posted

10. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    I have a relaxed embouchure when I play piano :-P ..........All kidding aside, I believe it's more important to relax your shoulders, neck, legs, mind, etc......I.E. The rest of your body.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011