Relaxing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Edwindle, Jun 27, 2012.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Oh yes - and don't forget about air ...... :roll:

2. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    Yes its all about AIR and SUPPORT and how we use it . My take on this is............ if you know your part and can play it at ease.... (musically) you should be fine at the Gig.
    Just keep in mine the fundamentals ( remember the state of mind also has a lot to do with your playing , so playing mind games on ones self can help to.

A nice hot shower before playing can help us relax somewhat.

I drink a fair bit of water while playing , as this helps me with the breathing and keeps me hydrated.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Practice after taking a shower. The more that you get used to low tension, the easier that it is. A good shortcut is Yoga lessons or swimming a mile 3 times a week.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not so sure that's good advice for some of us here on TM. [Is it Saturday night yet?] I mean once a week may just not be enourgh... just say'n:dontknow:

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    hey a shower , once a week??? I take a shower once a week - whether I need it or not, I also shave my face once a week on wednesdays -- because that is a slow time of the week!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL
    nonetheless -- I am a relaxed type of person so I don't always need to try and figure out how to relax, it comes naturally for me.

yeah -- play and be happy ---- uhmmm B natural!!!!!!!!!!! that is ROFL

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Yes, apparently you are so relaxed KT that you have to lie down to laugh ............................................ just observin'. :-P

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
    D.C. Al fine likes this.
  7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Daaahhhh... I mean he IS a lion!

8. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Here is a tip that has worked for most players...

We got it from Don Jacoby...

Don't think of playing higher, think of blowing farther.

If you think of a high C as being across the room, think of a high D as being placed through the wall and so forth.

This tends to focus your air and attention on projecting farther rather than playing higher.

You can thank "Jake" for that one.

9. jellesmiecht

jellesmiecht New Friend

Jun 1, 2012
    Remember the tongue position as well, the focused air (the quote) and the tongue position make a powerful tool to blow higher.
    Also when decrescendo as you ascend tends to focus the air more without cutting it off. (you can crescendo again when going down)
    This is a nice way to practice and it usually gets me 1 or 2 notes higher.

You can also watch this, he explains it better and very basic, but it works (for me)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22k_eacohto

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012