Remembering D-Day.June 6 1944

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by And3, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    Andy if it was one of the military bandman playing this morning, then you and I both know that wasn't playing poorly out a lack of respect or because it didn't matter to him.
    It might just be that nerves got the better of him? It must have been a high pressure moment for him and perhaps he just froze a bit. It ahppens sometimes unfortunately.

Personnally I was more than a bit surprised to see all those "re-enactment" enthusiasts with their vehicles parked up on Gold beach, some walking around dressed as GI's and the like. It just looked a bit too much like a summer fair as opposed to a commemoration event.

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I know things like that can happen but something reall felt wrong about the whole playing of the piece sorry but It seemed as though he just threw it away. Yes it is was a pressure cooker but for a soldier with all of the training to fall back on both military and musical it was not good enough. That is my opinion and I stick to it, he could at least have got the tempo something like right.

3. Sidekick

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    Fair enough - not really the occasion to get it so wrong. That's what all the trainign is for after all.

4. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Thanks Sidekick, it did just feel cringy to me, difficult to explain more without you seeing it.

5. Sidekick

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    Andy, I have just watched some of the D Day commemerations this evening and it showed the last post player that I think that you were talking about. I now know why it sounded a little odd as it was played pretty fast. I think that the player was from a French regiment and that might explain the difference as i think that the French use a different tune normally.
    Having said that it wasn't quite what we might have expected.
    Needless to say we all have huge respect for the veterans who made the journey all those years ago and those who made it back again today.

6. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Nicely put Sidekick and if it was a player from a French regiment I offer a reserved appology, reserved because even a French regimental player should have done a better job.