remote set up and special effects

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Feb 2, 2009.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I'm looking for recommendations for a clip on trumpet microphone with remote pack and special effects capability. I tried something like this a long time ago but can't remember the model or name. It was around $600.00. If there's something cheaper out there that does a good job I'd like to know about it. Your experience can save me a lot of leg work and wasted expence.

thanks..........crow

2. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Crow,

Here's my electronic gear....I did a lot of research and this stuff has handled hundreds of gigs and just keeps on doin it !! Good Luck.....

Shure wireless beta horn mic and system approx 1000.00
    Shure wireless in-ear monitors approx 800.00
    Digitec stereo effects unit - I believe it's the model S-2 approx 400.00
    Wrap it all up in a 3 rack case and your all ready to go !!

Depending on what models you purchase you can spend more, or less, according to your pocketbook !

Hoghorn

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  3. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    Thanks Hoghorn. I know it's great equipment just by the prices. I don't know if I'll spend that much but it gives me some direction......... crow

4. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Hey Crow, Good luck with it. There's a lot to choose from out there. Most of it
    is quality equipment, and performs well. The equipment I use is designed to "Take a lickin and keep on tickin" due to heavy use at times. There are different models to choose from in all price ranges. My stuff is probably mid-price range. You would be surprised at what you can find on E-Bay !!! Hint, hint.....

If I can answer any questions feel free to ask.

Hoghorn

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  5. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ

The Shure beta is a fantastic horn mike system. :thumbsup:

A quality economical alternative to the Shure set-up is the Samson Concert 77 series (@$230). SameDayMusic.com: Samson Concert 77 HM40 Wireless

[​IMG]

We use the Samsons for our band's four horn players (trumpet, 2 saxes & trombone) and run the rack-mounted UHF diversity receivers into our main sound board.

Along the signal chain, we can route any of the four horns through a DigiTech Vocalist Live Pro harmonizer / effects unit (when it's not being used for vocal harmonies). DigiTech Vocalist Live Pro Vocal Harmony Processor at AmericanMusical.com

[​IMG]

The DigiTech unit not only has some remarkable Lexicon-class effects for soloing, but also allows any one of our individual horns to become a 4-5 part harmonized horn section by themselves. (Our keyboardist's MIDI output feeds the harmonizer to tell it the actual harmony chords.)

MJ likes this.
  6. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Yes steve the Shure system is top of the line in my opinion. I don't know how many shows I've done with rented sound where the onstage engineer compliments on how easy I am to mix. LOVE the Digitech unit too !!!!!! I can run myself or the whole horn section from a footswitch.
    And wireless is THE only way to go, I hate being embilicled to a mic stand !!

Hoghorn

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  7. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    The Digitech is good gear!!! What did youpay for the Samson CT-7 and who do you recomend to purchase it from?

8. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    I've always had good luck and excellent customer service buying from American Musical Supply. (Samson Concert 77 UHF TD Wind Instrument Wireless Microphone System at AmericanMusical.com)

Since we bought four of the Samson systems at the same time, I think they may've knocked a few dollars off of the $299 price and threw in free shipping. Just remember to specify different UHF frequencies for each unit if you're buying multiples (or if someone in your band already has a wireless set-up).

9. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    :thumbsup:

Plus, it's hard enough trying to get multiple horns through a sound system properly balanced with each other (and we always had a heck of a time keeping our sax players on mike).

10. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    thanks for recomending a store by name as personal recomendations mean alot to me especialy when someone has had good customer service! I use Charly Melk, Osmun's and Ken Larson due to recomendations from people on this board!