Remove Dents Before Selling?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by trickg, Jan 24, 2012.

Should dents be removed before trying to sell a used horn?

1. Yes, remove the dents

19 vote(s)
    95.0%
  2. No, leave it as is

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    So, hypothetically (or maybe not hypothetically) let's say I have a horn I want to sell, and overall it's a solid, nice playing horn, but it has a couple of dents in the bell. Is it worth it to have the dents removed before selling it, or should I try to sell it as-is?

On one hand I think that it would be a wash - I'd probably pay the difference in what I could sell it for as-is as opposed to the extra I could ask if I got a good tech to do the dent work. On the other hand, I think if I got the dents removed I'd have a lot more interest in the horn - most people don't really want a fixer-upper.

Thoughts?

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I would remove the dents. Unless it was a silver horn and it would leave that ripple in the silver. But if the dents were huge like in the bell crook I would remove them no matter what. It doesnt cost too much to have a tech put them out and you could just add that to the price if you wanted.

One of the big reasons that I would not remove the dents is if it was a great horn that was rare. Like a NY or Mt. Vernon Bach strad, French Besson, or another old and good horn.

So in short terms, I would remove the dents unless it was a great horn that people want in original condition.

coolerdave likes this.
  3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I would have the dents removed. Not only would more people be interested in it,but you could possibly get more money. Like when selling a used car,looks count.

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I also say remove the dents.

Tom

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I voted Yes, but would consider the job on its merit - e.g. pin-prick dent or major collapse? Other issues with horn? Advice from tech?

--bumblebee

6. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    Dents and dings removed, corks and felts replaced and professionally cleaned. Sell a horn ready to play. No one wants to get a new horn and then part with it while it is being serviced.

7. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I remove dents and dings before selling any trumpet. I have 2 different techs that I use. Either one takes dents out for $10 to $30 including any bell lip distortions. It's just cheap and the right thing to do.

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    You know, what everyone is telling me is my gut instinct, but my wife thinks that it wouldn't be worth it. The one dent is actually scratched the lacquer a bit - I wonder if I could rub some of that out with a swirl and haze remover - it works on guitars after all, right? Granted, this is more of an epoxy lacquer than a nitro lacquer though.

The horn in question is my copper belled Kanstul CCF 925 Flugel. I'm confident it will sell whether I get the dings removed or not - they are not bad dings either, but they are there. One was caused by a spastic sax player I used play next to, clunking his sax into my horn on the stand, and the other was caused by a glancing blow when a bass, not properly put on its stand, fell over and came down, hitting my stand first and then glancing into the bell of my flugel sitting on the stand.

It's a sweet horn - I've gotten some great use out of it, but I'm at a point in my life where I'm just not gigging trumpet anymore, and while I'm not going to part with my trumpet, I have a project where I want to use the funds I can get by selling the flugel. For those who my think it's too bad that I'm not gigging, that's not it at all - I'm playing all the time, but I'm doing it from behind a drum kit. That seems to be my bag these days.

Thanks for the responses - if there is anyone who thinks otherwise, that it would be ok to leave the dents, feel free to give your opinion.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Remove the dents. I can get this done for $30 and felts and corks replaced for $0.75 x 3. You can recoup this easily in the sale, and you have the pride of knowing the person you sell it to will be getting the best quality horn from the seller. This reflects on your integrity, which I believe is priceless.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    No real need to replace anything - the felts are rubber (on the top) and the inner felts are fine, and there are no corks - this one has amado style water keys. I'll definitely give it a once-over before it goes out the door though and I'll make sure it's right, dents and all. They actually aren't bad, but I've heard that copper, being a softer metal than brass alloys, can be a bit finicky to work with. Anyone know anything about that?