Remove Dents Before Selling?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by trickg, Jan 24, 2012.

Should dents be removed before trying to sell a used horn?

1. Yes, remove the dents

19 vote(s)
    95.0%
  2. No, leave it as is

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Your buyer will want to fall in love with your horn - help him out, it's the appropriate thing to do.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Remove the dents and remove an obstacle for haggling. WHICH/ WHAT horn you selling?

3. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    It's easier to remove dents/dings from copper than brass.

4. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    I concur. Removing dents is cheap and many people have the misperception that it is expensive. You can include the sales slip to the new owneer so they have the history and your integrity id established. I sold a Mt Vernon Bach for a profit after simply removing some dents. I desribed everything I had had done in the info on eBay. What peaved me was the new owner tried to flip it for more by telling lies that the horn had never had dents removed. Of course the ruse didn't work and after him listing it numerous times he sold for the same price I sold it to him for which means he lost money. That serves him right. So be honest, and do yourself a favor and honor the horn by treating it right. After all it served you well. It should be respected, by you most of all. Your wife will agree whe the better price comes to fruition.

5. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    It's easy to overwork copper when removing a dent. My local guy will give a dent in a copper bell a once-over, but won't do any burnishing to try to make it look pretty. I'm well aware that there are great techs out there who can work miracles -- I'm just describing my local situation.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That's pretty much what I was told, and by a guy who is a pretty talented brass tech. He told me that if I could live with the dent, then I might be better off leaving it alone.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I would give the buyer the choice. Get an estimate for the dent removal. Publish it. invoice for it if the service is desired. Sell it for what you want and IF the buyer is finicky, get the rest done.

It is kind of like haggling for a used car - sometimes the seller won't budge on price but will throw in a set of tires at a great deal.

tedh1951 likes this.
  8. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    I hate dents, whether to keep, buy or sell the horn! Remove !

9. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Keep the dents if it has been autographed on the bell by Doc Severinsen with circles around each dent saying "I did this!", and you have an autographed photo of you with Doc Severinsen, having the time of your lives, and Doc is pointing at one of the dents with a big, embarrassed grin on his face. Otherwise, remove.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  10. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    ....Then again, if you had such a horn dented by Doc, you wouldn't be selling it.

Remove. Dents are ugly.