Remove Dents Before Selling?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by trickg, Jan 24, 2012.

Should dents be removed before trying to sell a used horn?

1. Yes, remove the dents

19 vote(s)
    95.0%
  2. No, leave it as is

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I have done both... to me it just depends. I have put work into horns that I knew would cost me more than I would recoup selling the horn but they were going to kids and I wanted them to have a nice trumpet. If I do leave the dents in it's because I am selling the horn off cheap as in $75-125 cheap... possibly an eBay unload for whatever it's going to go for.
    Your horn sounds like a nice one so I would probably have the dents taken out.
    My Holton 47 is going to be a deal for someone because I put over 275 in it on a restore ... that and what I paid for it will probably be a losing prop for me. I just thought it was too neat of a horn to be not played.

2. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I'd say remove it then take the pics (assuming you are selling on eBay). Dents look aweful and dented horns do not command as much as pretty ones. Of course, there is always a risk: once all dents are removed, felts and corks replaced, horn is thoroughly cleaned, you might find it quite nice again...

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The horn is nice - that has nothing to do with why I want to sell it. I have another project in mind that is going to cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $800, and I can easily get that much out of this flugel. Right now street price on it is $1800, so if I have the dents removed and list it out there at around a grand, I should be able to find a buyer pretty quickly.

Keep in mind, none of the dings are huge and none of it ever affected the way it played. As is, it's still a pretty horn.

If I were still gigging on horn and using it, I'd keep it, but I'm not. I bought this flugel at a time when I was gigging big band, and I was also gigging in an upscale wedding band where I used it all the time. I have subbed big band a couple of rare times since I left the big band around 2004/2005 (can't even remember at this point) and the thing with the wedding band ended in November. I haven't touched either my trumpet or flugel since the last gig I played - I'm simply too busy playing and gigging drums. I'm keeping the Schilke trumpet - there may come a day where I'll want to start playing again, but I played for a long, long time without ever owning my own flugelhorn, and I know I can get by without it, especially if I'm not gigging.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I vote for dents out .... The local guy here would do that for $10.

And, I'd be happy to facilitate that for you TrickG. Just send me the horn and I'll have him make it look new. :D

Turtle

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  5. homebilly

homebilly Pianissimo User

Dec 29, 2010
    Los Angeles & Paris, Fran
    i say put more dents in it and say that it was a jazz horn with an interesting past..

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Well, are you interested in it? Obviously I'm not going to sell it for $10, but my goal is to sell it at a competitive price - I want to move it, so I'm not looking for top dollar. After all, it's a used flugel, and even if they do normally sell for $1800 new, I have to be realistic that 1.) it's not flawless - it has been gigged a fair amount, and 2.) it's not typically one of THE flugels people tend to look for, meaning it's not a Conn V1, or a Kanstul 1525 or a Yamaha 631. It's a Kanstul 925, Custom Class.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Patrick, a competent tech shouldn't have a problem removing dents from copper, but DIY may become disaster. I disavow any ability as a tech. Can't comment on Music&Arts repair shop in Rockville MD as I never used them.

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I've got a few options for the dent work. I know a couple of good techs and I'm familiar with a couple of other shops with good reputations. One guy I know would do the work at deep discount, but the turnaround time might not be what I'm looking for. I can't ask for fast cheap work when he's already neck deep in normal paid work - he'd have to set aside his normal workload to do mine for a song. On the other hand, he's pretty good at what he does - I'll have to call and run it by him. Otherwise there a couple of other places I can go for the typical work and turn-around time. That's one advantage to living in an area like this.

9. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Dents out. Worse case is it doesn't look quite as bad. Best case is it looks fabulous! Cost should be low. It is a 10 minute job. I had one taken out of my Kanstul 1525 -copper part. I'd have to point it out to you for you to notice.

Keep in mind dent removal is a talent. A friend of mine (who works at a music store) recently bought his kid a trumpet for his birthday. Didn't carry to where he worked (guess didn't want the owner to know he had picked it up outside the store), but had the other music shop in town work on the dents. When I saw the horn I asked him why he hadn't taken into his guy to have the small dents removed. He said it had just come from the other shop and they removed the dents. Point being, one shop apparently has a Tech that is NOT good at dent removal. The other shop (where he worksd) has one of the best masters of such in the south. As the knight in one of the Harrison Ford movie says, "He chose poorly."

Best of luck.

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Patrick,

I was just being silly ... I'm trying not to be interested in it, but I've heard those Kanstuls are nice.

Also, I think that dent removal is not only a talent, but it helps to have expensive specialized machines for it as well (which my tech bought a few years back). I'm not sure what that machinery is, but it makes his dent removal very clean.

Turtle

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012