remove marble stuck down bell

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by momskitchen, Dec 27, 2008.

1. momskitchen

momskitchen New Friend

Dec 27, 2008
    My kid was shooting a marble out of his trumpet in lieu of practicing and it got stuck. I tried to soak it in the tub, but it wont' come out. Anything else I should try?

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    where is it stuck? in the bell? take it to a repair shop! Or try pouring some dish washing liquid down the bell to see if it slide out. then try blowing it out

3. momskitchen

momskitchen New Friend

Dec 27, 2008
    Yes, in the bell. I am trying to avoid the expense of a trip to the repair man, if possible. But I do have a good repair guy I can call. I have the horn all taken apart now and I'll try the dish soap. I can't find the cleaning brushes, but I'll try that tomorrow.

4. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    Mom,Don"t try putting the snake down the bell to get it out,that will only get the marble stuck tighter.Your repair man should be able to pop it out through the first valve with some sort of snake fairly easily.You may want to try emersing the trumpet in fairly soapy warm water.The warm water may expand the tubing enough to dislodge the ball?

5. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Put a small steel ball in the 1st valve end and roll it into the marble with increasing force till it taps it out!

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    When I was in 6th grade I did the same thing. The kid sitting next to me in band banged the bell on the ground and the marble came out.

Today I wouldn't let that kid do it but I might try lightly tapping the bell on the carpet. Be careful!!

I'm sure people will say I'm nuts but it's what I would do.

7. heartratestudios

heartratestudios New Friend

Dec 27, 2008
    I suggest trying nothing and just take it into a shop. By trying to remove it you could potentially dent or harm you trumpet.

8. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    good luck!

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Fill the horn up with very warm water, so you have a column of water from leadpipe to marble. The warm water should cause the brass to expand a little more than the marble. Pressurize the water by putting as much air against it as you can with your mouth on the leadpipe (or mouthpiece). The water can't compress like air does, and should dislodge the marble if it isn't stuck too tight. If that doesn't work, I'd take it to a good repair tech.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  10. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Where are you in MI?

Perhaps I can help.

-cw-