remove marble stuck down bell

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by momskitchen, Dec 27, 2008.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Be very careful of the spray back when you take your mouth off the trumpet, if you use this method. You could have some very warm water down your chest, which might be "uncomfortable".

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  2. momskitchen

momskitchen New Friend

Dec 27, 2008
    Can I put the snake with the brush on it though the 1st valve hole? Or is it verboten for me to put anything in the valve holes?

3. momskitchen

momskitchen New Friend

Dec 27, 2008
    I am thankful for any advice - I'm thinking filling the bell with hot water and blowing air in the other direction is migh cause the mass of the column of water to press the marble down further. I do think somehow heat might be the answer, so I did give the horn a bath in some warm

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    You have it backwards, read that post again. I wouldn't put the snake on the first valve.

5. momskitchen

momskitchen New Friend

Dec 27, 2008
    Success! I took the horn apart - valves out, all tubes removed. I put some dish washing liquid in the bell end so the marble was liberally coated, and then I put a 5/16; steel ball bearings in through the first valve hole and shook the horn - after a couple tries the inertia of 3 ball bearings was finally enough mass to get it out. I suppose if 3 didn't work, you could add more if you need to.

I got the ball bearings in the hunting aisle at the store - it's ammo for slingshots, evidentally. I didn't want to put the snake down that valve hole - I figure it would have damaged it going round the corner but the ball bearing just dropped right in. Thanks for the advice, all! Happy new year!

6. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Glad to hear it! I'm sure that your son won't do it again!:D

7. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Yay! :-)

8. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    My son has not put anything down his yet thankfully. He does however pretend it is a missle launcher and other stuff. He seems to thinkthe "Q" from Jam's Bond movies must have at some point developed a trumpet with a laser or missle system etc........

9. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    good job. as i was reading all the posts on this i was sitting here thinking "just fill the hole with smaller diameter ball bearings until you can put a finger in there and push it out".

oy, kids these days!

10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Yea, be sure and throughly rinse all the soap out. Kids will be kids.