remove marble stuck down bell

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by momskitchen, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Ivan, I'm sure you now know me well enough to answer that if I incurred such dilemma. Still, in buying pre-owned student quality, such wouldn't surprise me and I think you've been around long enough that it wouldn't surprise you either. However, if it worked I wouldn't expect an escalation in damage by vacuuming with a Shop VAC. Mine is 10 HP and has picked up tractor nuts buried in the sawdust in our old shed. Too, such deters collateral injury or property damage and the turn-around time is less than 5 minutes.

I just think it's more likely to be a super ball or a cat's ball than a marble in these times, but when I was in 5th grade marbles were prolific in about every boy's pocket. Alas, the last marble manufacturer in the U.S. (Pennsboro WV) is now defunct and now all on the market are imports.

Small flower arranger marbles are very effective Whamo slingshot ammo. I've some fractured old marbles now cemented to our table ceramic Christmas tree. Yes, they've good uses ... and they're trouble. Orthopedic surgeons can tell you of many hip replacements caused by such loose on the home flooring.

2. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    This is what I or most any other repair man would have done. We call those smaller balls "chasers."

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  3. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    I wouldn't worry about that. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff I've found in horns. ssousaphones are the worst!

4. Steve Hollahan

Steve Hollahan Pianissimo User

May 31, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Having recently saved a trumpet w/2 marbles stuck in bell by young autistic player, my advice would be "Go to a repair shop." Removing stuck items in a trumpet requires using dent balls dropped into the bore. Can be an easy job, but can require some skill, too.

5. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Thanks for sharing! I always welcome people sharing their success stories, and great job sticking to it and getting it solved!!

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I cannot dispute that the dent ball method works. The metal balls in a shake-em either tap a glass marble out or fracture it. It is this latter that sometimes can enlarge the bore if the fragments are not often removed in the process. Still, it take great care to place the dent balls behind the obstruction if the bell is not first removed from the instrument. Too, glass marbles vary in size which is unknown to a tech. Lo, if it wedges right at the point of entry to a valve on some internal solder. One just doesn't know until the instrument is in their hands.

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Here's what a friend of mine found in one...
    My Photos

8. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    I can only say, "AAghghghghgh!!!!!!"

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    RE: Sousaphones with popcorn, candy wrappers and the worst chewed bubble gum and some soda. That's when one of the band boosters ordered screens for them with the school initials. Too, I think such was a factor in bringing on the advent marching baritones.