Removing Epoxy Lacquer

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    (Perhaps worth mentioning that dichloromethane and methylene chloride are two different names for the same stuff)

2. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    And to think how much DCM and benzene we used to use casually for cleaning just about anything, barehanded.

3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    BBM, why? WHY? I am having trouble understanding the reasoning behind this thread. You are going to a lot of trouble, and considering subjecting yourself to biohazards, just to mess with cosmetics on an older Yamaha entry level horn. Is it worth it to you? It boggles my brain that you would waste the time to consider it. Play the horn as is if you like it, sell it, or donate it for a tax write-off.

I don't know, maybe I'm getting cantankerous in my old age.

Peter McNeill likes this.
  4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    The keenness of youth Ed, we all have embarked in exercises in futility.

Regards, Stuart.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think that BBM got the hint that no one here is really "for" chemical removal and that standard mechanical means require major effort. You never know until you try.

I would probably just use a heat gun and scrape the stuff off with a wooden spatula and then get the rest with a polishing wheel and some course rouge in the beginning and finer to the end. There are polishing wheels for standard home drills that do a decent job.

But then again, I don't have any particular interest in spending time on horns that I would never use and my horns are well tended to by a tech of my personal choosing. None of them are epoxy lacquered.

6. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Amen

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Nah, maybe just a curmudgeon! :lol:

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Lacquer removing methods aside, a Yamaha 232 really isn't worth the time, money or effort it would take to do it right. This is one of those threads where we should probably take a step back in the methods and determine first whether or not it's worth it.

9. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    It's worth it for a learning experience, pretty insignificant horn to mess around with! We could be talking about a nice pro horn that deserves to be done right. I would strip it with sand paper and use a finer grit towards the end and have a nice "brushed" style finish