Removing Laqor!?!?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AndrewWK, Sep 9, 2004.

1. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004
    Right now i have a marching/jazz crap trumpet and i wanted to take the laqor off? Will that effect my sound any?

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Many think removing the lacquer helps the sound. The drawback is that you have no protection from rust, etc. and it will not have a shiny look (sounds like yours is past shiny anyway).

Jim

3. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004
    Well I figured that if i take the laqor off it would brighten the sound. The laqor is on its way to coming off it just looks like crap so i just wanted to know what would happen.

4. acwells

acwells New Friend

Sep 7, 2004
    Ajax, Ontario, Canada
    I removed the laquer from my Yamaha Cornet. The end result was a more pure sound that got darker as the patina set in. Drawback. The horn needs to be wiped down carefully after playing to prevent pitting. I have actually resorted to using Pledge to control the set in of the patina and prevent the nasty finger print shaped tarnish marks. Overall, worth the effort.

5. shinytrumpet

shinytrumpet New Friend

Sep 12, 2004
    CT
    I heard from a reliable source that the best way to take off lauqer would be to run it through the dishwasher. Don't ask me how anyone got that idea, but if it works, then I won't question. :lol:

Matthew

6. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Older lacquer can be removed by hot water and pressure. Some lacquers are so thin that a hot bath will remove it. Others, you could put them for days in boiling water and the lacquer would remain.

A dishwasher provided very hot water and pressure. It certainly can work.

7. Youri le god

Youri le god Pianissimo User

Jan 23, 2004
    London, UK
    I got some good old fashioned paint stripper, applied it all over. Waited for about 20 mins then brushed off the lacquer with an old toothbrush. Did the trick nicely. I then scratch brushed it lightly and now (12 months later!!) it resembles the finish on a Monette. I was pleasantly suprised by the outcome.

8. acwells

acwells New Friend

Sep 7, 2004
    Ajax, Ontario, Canada
    Did you notice any differences in the sound? before and after laquer removal and before and after brushing?

9. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Pianissimo User

Unfortunatly, I found this out the last time I cleaned my Courtois Cornet... :(

10. acwells

acwells New Friend

Sep 7, 2004
    Ajax, Ontario, Canada
    Compared to some Yamaha laquers that are like steel and near impossible to remove.

Bought a Jupiter pocket rumpet a few years ago for fun. Got it for 175 Canadian pesos because the white laquer wasdark in a few spots..So..out cam the paint stripper last night. the horn looks kinda cools now since it appears that the horns that are basically painted aren't buffed all to hell.

I could swear that it actually improved the sound of the horn. A little darker, rounder sound..

One thing about the painted horns is that they get the paint/laquer EVERYWHERE. Inside the slide tubes, in the valve casings, in the amado waterkeys even in the connecting tubes between the valve casings. No wonder it sounds better. The only place that the laquer would not come off of (so far ;-) is anywhere there is exposed solder. Otherwise it came off pretty easily.

I started off testing it with a brush and found it just peeled away about a minute after application. did this three times flushing it with water and a good brushing out each time. then placed it in a heavy plastic bag (PVC) and let it soak for about ten minutes with the bag (sealed) in hot water (laundry tub).. One more reeeeealy good wash out with hot soapy water and snake and I was done..

If you are ever thinking of doing this with a decent horn you are definitely looking to spend an afternoon doing it.