Removing Laqor!?!?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AndrewWK, Sep 9, 2004.

1. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004
    My horn is a Blessing beginners trumpet. Does anyone know how easy/hard it is to take it off? If I am able to do it myself, then I can save the extra money.

Also, a good friend of mine has a Bach 37 Texas lone star edition(valve caps, spit valves, mp, and inside bell are all gold). He wants to remove the silver(the rest of the horn) and gold plate the rest of the trumpet. I have looked on the internet nd can not for the life of me find how much tis perticular proceddure costs. My guess is about $400-500. Would that be a correct assumption?

Thanks for all the replies,
    AndrewWK

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
  3. acwells

acwells New Friend

Sep 7, 2004
    Ajax, Ontario, Canada
    Without actually getting the chemical that they use in the pro shops you could experiment with stuff like Poly-Stripa. You would know in a few minutes whether or not it would work. I have no idea about the hot water thing.

As for your friend with the Bach, he does not have to remove the silver. In fact most gold plated horns are first silver plated. I dont understand the metalurgy of it but gold won't stick to brass (something to do with the zinc content) Some platers do a flash copper plate (really really thin) prior to gold but more are silver plated first. Ergo...just plate the gold over the silver. Your friends horn is probably entirely silver plated and the gold wash inside the bell is ontop of silver anyway. You are lookig about $650 USD for plating something in gold AFAIK.

4. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    I lusted after one of those for so long...

But, not too long ago, I sent my Omega to Sam Gibbs (Wichita Falls) to have some dents pulled out, and thought about having the inside of the bell goldplated and doing some minor engraving, along with replating it silver. The estimate was around 700-800 dollars, best as I remember. I didn't do it (seeing as it's an Omega after all), but that's what I know.

5. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004
    There ok.....not a real fan of bachs plus the engraving is some what cliche'. The one my friend has he put the the UGLY ($40) green marble(they were plastic, real fake looking) valve caps at the top of the valve.

Thanks for the reply,
    AndrewWK