Removing Silver Plate

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by centerofaTONEment, Jul 12, 2011.

1. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I am reviving this thread to alert members to possible problems in stripping silver plate.

I recently sent a brand new trumpet to one of the major companies in this field to have the silver stripped. It came back with a couple of thou taken off the nickel silver and half a thou taken off all yellow brass. Meaning that the slides were floppy and the valves leaked. An unplayable horn:evil: I could deal with slides by replacing the tubing, but the excessive play in the valves can only be solved by a valve job and I cannot sell a new trumpet with reworked valves. The company in question will not dialogue on this.

Since then I have been made aware of others having this same problem.

My advice:
    DON'T.

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Thanks for the caveat. Nothing more disheartening than attempting to improve a good horn and ruining it in the process.

3. simso

simso Pianissimo User

Jul 1, 2009
    Australia, Perth
    How did you measure your before and after

Steve

4. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Try an Olds Ambassador in raw brass from 55 or so...the poor man's Monette, and the valves are better than early Monette horns.

5. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Wow, that's a big call :-)

My Ambassador must be a dud. It's ok, but ranks at the bottom of the list below.

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I would also suggest just getting another horn. Shouldn't be a problem selling in silverplate. Selling in raw brass is more of an issue.

7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Micrometer and ball gauges.

8. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Well...aside from prudence there remains one more option:
    Instead of removing the silver plating by complete immersion in bath, mechanically remove the silver plating where external and exposed...various ways of doing so...fine steel wool, very, very fine glass shot...(being certain to mask and protect areas that you do not want abraided.
    Yes, there will be some unavoidable base loss of the brass, and YES...it will be a matte or brushed finish...and yes...it will affect the nature of the horn somewhat..but there it is...
    And...no...I have not done so. Wouldn't'...on a good instrument.

9. Dviglis

Dviglis Mezzo Piano User

Mar 29, 2014
    VA
    I prefer the old fashioned method. Simply wearing out the silver plate with the pure manliness of your death grip on the valve section.

10. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Testosterone.
    The ultimate finish stripper.
    Of course it will burn right through the brass casings and into the pistons.