Removing Silver Plate

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by centerofaTONEment, Jul 12, 2011.

1. therealnod

therealnod Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2014
    Why would anyone want to do this?

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    From what I've been told, silver-plated Bachs don't have the nickel parts on them, either, so a stripped one will be all brass.

3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    From the ones I've seen, the Bach silver plated trumpets have yellow brass thumb hook and finger ring, but the slide receiver tubes are still nickel silver.

4. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Going the opposite direction...
    I suppose if one were to have a worn finish replated by Andersen, the plating would also be throughout the inside of the bores and valve bodies, and would therefore tighten the valve clearances unless relapped? I wondered about that. The bore would then also be smaller, but not by a great amount, right? The silver plating would otherwise be a good thing on the inside of the tubes in regards to protecting the brass from acidic moisture from the player...especially the lead pipe. I've thought (perhaps erroneously but doubt it) the most critical surfaces needing protection are the INSIDES of the instrument regarding function...and the outside regarding cosmetics.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Mark Curry told me that the Bach silver-plated heavy caps are brass; the lacquered ones nickel. Also, word on the treat is that the Yamaha silver-plated rotary uses more brass parts than the lacquered version.

6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Well, if you really want to ruin a trumpet by stripping the plating off - it's your money. But if you just want a different look, why not get gold plating put on top of the silver and get that in a brushed matte finish? That way, you still have the engraving, the sound and the looks will improve...

7. Dviglis

Dviglis Mezzo Piano User

Mar 29, 2014
    VA
    Sound is a bit negligible depending on the precautions taken by the tech to not get any inside the horn but looks for sure.

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Maybe Ivan can help on this. I doubt that they silverplate the inside of the tubes or valve casings. If that is right, what do they do to keep the silver out?

9. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Plugs?
    Rubber?

10. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Anderson will not plug the tubing. The inside is plated as far as it goes, which means that there is a lot of lapping necessary especially in the valve casings.