Removing Tarnish

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BachM, Mar 22, 2015.

1. BachM

BachM Pianissimo User

Mar 10, 2015
    North Carolina, USA
    Overall my trumpet is in pristine condition, although there is some extremely minor tarnish. I know it is not a big deal, but how would one go about removing tarnish by oneself? How would a professional trumpet cleaner go about removing it? What would it cost to have it professionally removed? What would it cost to remove it by oneself?

2. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I wipe down my silver-plated horns with Goddard's Silver Polishing Cloth whenever I put them back in the case. Bach makes something similar, and there may be others.

3. BachM

BachM Pianissimo User

Mar 10, 2015
    North Carolina, USA
    Does it remove tarnish well?

Edit: Or at all?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  4. J. Jericho

Mar 16, 2011
    It removes light tarnish such as you describe well, and it leaves a protective coating, too. I use Flitz on tarnish that Goddard's doesn't remove. Both advertise as being non-abrasive, and while some might argue that there has to be some removal of the silver itself, since the tarnish is oxidized silver, the amount removed by these products is negligible in my experience. If you're wary of polishing, there are many posts on TrumpetMaster concerning the use of a baking soda solution and aluminum foil to reverse the oxidation. A web search will also turn up numerous recipes for this process.

5. BachM

BachM Pianissimo User

Mar 10, 2015
    North Carolina, USA
    Okay, thanks for the info.

The tarnish is medium-heavy in very small quantities in very few locations.

Is there any kind of professional restoration methods at a music shop that can be used? I am wary of damaging it by doing it myself.

6. J. Jericho

Mar 16, 2011
  7. BachM

BachM Pianissimo User

Mar 10, 2015
    North Carolina, USA
    How much would it cost to have someone do it? I do not like DIY stuff. I do not trust myself. I am a skeptic.

8. J. Jericho

Mar 16, 2011
    If you aren't sure of your abilities in cleaning your trumpet, a visit to a competent tech may be the best answer for you. The cost will be surprisingly low.

9. BachM

BachM Pianissimo User

Mar 10, 2015
    North Carolina, USA
    Okay, I was looking into a full cleaning and maintenance soon, so I get them to do this, too. Thanks for the help! :)

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Polishing minor tarnish from silver plating isn't rocket science. A bit of liquid silver polish and a soft cloth are all that's needed. I have a 40 year old Bach Strad that I've polished maybe once a year this way and the silver plating on it is still fine.