Removing Tarnish

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BachM, Mar 22, 2015.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    With a little table salt, baking soda and a sheet of aluminum foil (in hot water) you can do this yourself for pennies.

2. BachM

BachM Pianissimo User

Mar 10, 2015
    North Carolina, USA
    Well, since I'm having it cleaned and stuff, I'll just get them to do it while it's there.

3. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
  4. BachM

BachM Pianissimo User

Mar 10, 2015
    North Carolina, USA
    Does it work good?

5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Bach M,

Realize that you will have to keep carrying the horn in to get "de tarnished" so I would suggest learning to do it yourelf. Try silver polish if you like. Wal mart. wrights, Hargerty, Flitz, -all fine. As Dale indicates, it isn't like your going to hurt the horn using polish every so often. Live to 200- maybe. Or, try the Baking Soda aluminum chemistry method mentioned by Doc- perfectly safe. Point being, unless you have money to burn, learning to polish the horn yourself is something that is just part of being a trumpet player. Jericho also has a good point at wiping down the horn with a polish cloth after each use. That will greatly extend time between formal polishings.

6. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    I use the washing soda/aluminum foil in hot water trick to reverse the silver oxidation (sulfation?) on badly tarnished horns. 'Barn finds' that are new to me in other words. After that I use Hagerty's silver polish, both to finish the recovery job, and for annual maintenance. Caveat: I am not a tech, nor a particularly good trumpet player! But my silver horns look good.