Rent-to-own?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by bigaggietrumpet, Feb 16, 2004.

1. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Ok, can anyone clarify this for me?

I just saw on the kanstulmusic.com homepage that Kanstul is selling a horn for 800 dollars in twenty 40 dollar payments. When I looked at the specs of the horn, a lot of details were missing, most importantly, the bell material. Can someone give me the low-down on these horns? 800 bucks, if it is made with the same quality as the Sig series, is a heckuva deal, especially for those of us in the college crowd!

2. slimshady

slimshady Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2003
    i have played one....for several gigs actually! it is one helluva horn.

the only thing i didn't like is the adjustable third valve ring.

very rich darkish sound....very very responsive and effortless to play...for me anyway! lol!

it is actually a heavier horn than the sig horns i have played. it has the custom class bell.....yellow brass......and it heavy gauge from what i can tell.

real nice horn.....especially given the price. i imagine that the zues g is similar to this horn....although....i really have no idea.

late.

3. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Well, the ring isn't a problem as I have large hands anyway.

Does the horn blend well with Strads and Yamahas?

The reason I'm asking is that this is starting to sound like an incredibly appetizing horn.

4. JACKKANSTUL

JACKKANSTUL Pianissimo User

Sorry if I wasn't clear on the site about the horn. It has the same dimensions as a Bach 37. It has a yellow brass bell. For the money I feel it is the best deal going on the net for a quality horn. You can even play it on me for the full length of 20 months and turn it in to use the money on any Kanstul line horn. That's a deal that can't be matched anywhere. Oh did I forget to mention you get it with my TRY BEFORE YOU BUY.

To The Deal-No one does it like Kanstul Music.

Jack Kanstul

5. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Ah, much clearer now. Thanks.
    Michael

6. dHoff

dHoff Pianissimo User

Feb 13, 2004
    Woodstock, NY
    My new Horn

Just got one myself, yesterday. I have a couple of other, more expensive instruments and strangely enough, this is the horn I am picking up. Easy to play, slightly dark, thick sound. I cannot argue that this may be the best deal out there. My plan is to use this investment into a different Kanstul horn in the future. But it does play beautifully. Perhaps I'll end up with this AND the Signature Series I want. Is it possible to have to many great instruments?

The horn is obviously carefully put together. Everything fits perfectly and works as it should. I think Kanstul can't help doing a great job on assembly. The finish on little things like valve caps is not what it is on my expensive (also Kanstul manufacture) horn. But for $40/Month! I wish when I was young and had to rent instruments, I had a quality horn like this to play. The terrible things I put up with when in High School Band could give nightmares.

I also dont see the beauty of the third slide ring, but I'll deal with it. I have already told Jack I am keeping this horn. At least until I have the change to call and order my Custom Signature Horn.

Oh, I don't love the case, but a new Pro-tech is what $60?

I hope this helps.

7. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Grr, stupid computer. It's probably gonna be the one freakin' thing that keeps me from getting the horn. Also, does anyone know just how long the deal will go on? I read that it was a limited time offer on the site somewhere.

8. dHoff

dHoff Pianissimo User

Feb 13, 2004
    Woodstock, NY
    Rent to own

There are only so many horns. Forget the computer, Call Jack, He'll tell you how long.

9. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi,

That little Kanstul 610 was the hit of a horn test conducted by Lee Adams and myself in Atlanta about a year ago. I consider this instrument to be the modern-day equivalent to the legendary Olds Ambassador trumpet of the 50's. It's that good of a basic trumpet! As a matter of fact, I call it the modern "Ambassador."

IMHO, Kanstul has made a big mistake in phasing out this horn, for it is a fine starting trumpet.

Actually, at the Atlanta test, reviewers all seemed to like the 610 better than the Kanstul 700 and some put it ahead of the Kanstul 900 series and Zeus trumpets in the test that most considered a slight step above.

No, it ISN'T a Kanstul Signature Series trumpet, and the differences in performance of the Signature Series are great enough for serious players to instantly grasp at the test, but . . . for the money . . . the little 610 is a horn that must be too good for its price.

The one in Atlanta sold for under $400 new if I recall. The newer price reflects both the real value of the instrument plus the extra profit needed to allow a rental agreement and, all things considered, is still a fair price for the instrument.

If Kanstul would bring back the 610 with just a couple of changes (one being that @#@#$%@# spit valve), it could be the best thing going out there for those on a tight budget.

Sincerely,

Tom Turner