Renting to own a horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JoshRowell19, Oct 2, 2013.

1. JoshRowell19

JoshRowell19 New Friend

Jun 29, 2012
    i'm looking to rent to own a professional trumpet while I am going to college for performing arts. The student model I am currently using really isn't cutting it, and I don't have 2500 dollars to just spend. Do you guys know any companies that have a website that will rent to own professional horns to anywhere in the US, for reasonable prices?

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Schmitt music has a branch for trumpets. Mark Bobnick runs that and he is a great guy, he'll hook you up.

3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Wow, that's cool. I bought both a flute and a trumpet waay in the past through music stores which would "tote the note". But in past years, I haven't found one that didn't just point you in the direction of a credit card instead. I did buy a sax from wwbw.com about ten years ago (or more) and they had a payment plan through Wells Fargo, but have since discontinued it.

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Whatever way it is packaged, "rent to own" is a financial transaction. It is done either through a 3rd party financial institution or funded by the store. There will be a profit margin on the trumpet price plus a profit margin on the financing. Often a typical music store will run its rent to own program based on the list price of a trumpet, but will sell that same trumpet over the counter at the current "street price", often up to 25% less. If this discount is 25% it means that the hidden finance charges for the "interest free rent to own program" total 33%.

My experience is that the best deals are set up by the experts - banks don't sell trumpets.

My advice is to go to family, friends, or finance people for money, then you can choose whatever model trumpet you want from whichever supplier.

When you say "rent to own" do you mean that you plan to return the trumpet some time in the future?

5. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Rent to own and buying on a payment plan are 2 different things. Which do you mean? Depending on your budget and how much you can afford per month, there are lots of options. When I was first going to college I opened my first credit card through my bank...18 months interest free. I managed to find enough gigs and mow enough lawns and other odd jobs to pay the card off completely (which had a flugelhorn and a computer for college on it) before any interest kicked in. It's kind of risky to operate that way, because if you don't make the deadline they'll screw you with interest. If you are confident you can make the money though, it's not a bad option.

As Ivan stated financing anything through a store will almost always cost you way more than figuring it out yourself.

6. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Buy a used pro horn and pay half or less.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Rent to own is a wise choice for parents because nobody can tell if Bobby or Suzie will take to the instrument. Many students take up the trumpet because it looks cool and sounds cool but change their minds as soon as they find out how danged hard the instrument is to play. In this case it is a pretty cool win-win situation, the parent can return the horn after Bobby or Suzie give up and end up saving money for not buying in the first place, so it is a safe way to invest, and the music store makes good money on a trumpet they can turn around and rent or sell to someone else.

My counsel would be to show up with your student horn in college and let your professor help the right trumpet find you. They have their own idea of what a great trumpet is, and are usually "in the loop" for instruments. They'll order a new instrument each year and if it plays better than the one they own they will sell the old one, and if it is not better sell the new one.

8. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    +1 on this, unless you have a good idea already about what you'd like to play on; then I go with Ed--look for a great pro horn in the used market.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Wanting to play in college after USAF I had to rent a trumpet and the deal was after 48 payments I'd own it. It didn't take a math expert to figure it would cost me 50% more than I could have bought it for in the beginning. However, it did have a "bail out" feature, meaning I could quit the deal with return of the instrument, as is what I did. Pretty much that is the same deal floating around U.S. public schools today, knowing that many quit within a short term and the used selling market remains viable to compensate.

10. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Renting to own is probably the most expensive way to buy a horn. I think Vulgano is right. Let your college trumpet prof. help you find one. He should have some contacts and can probably find you a good used pro horn for less than half the price.