Renuzit mute...it really works

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gbdeamer, Aug 23, 2010.

1. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I went on a 5 day vacation with my family and remembered everything...except my practice mute!! I realized it as soon as I unpacked my pocket trumpet, and promptly had an anxiety attack. We were a few hours away from home, so I had no choice but to make something myself.

There's a YouTube video with instructions for a Renuzit mute, but I didn't have all of the supplies, so I improvised with duct tape. I'll have to admit that I was a bit skeptical at first, but I was pleasantly surprised when I tried it. There was a bit more back pressure than I'm used to, but overall it did a great job allowing me to practice without disturbing/waking up my family.

Just wanted to share..

2. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    That is super cool.

3. Bucaneer61

Bucaneer61 Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2007
    Buckhannon, WV
    I've used one for quite a while now in hotels. I modified the mute slightly by forgetting the insert like the instructions say, just the shell. I also use a piece of bicycle tube for the seal (cork) instead of weatherstripping. Works great and I have never had an angry call from management.

Michael

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, I didn't have any weatherstripping, and I wasn't going to buy a whole roll just to make the mute, so I used duct tape.

I'm going to make another one and leave it in my wife's car so I'll be sure to have one whenever we travel...

5. erichmiller

erichmiller New Friend

Aug 17, 2010