Repair and Restore - good shops to use?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by davedk, Sep 7, 2011.

1. davedk

davedk New Friend

Jun 23, 2010
    california
    Well I have search over the forums trying to find a related topic -- I am in need.

I generally play my Bach 37 at church and during practice was walking with my horn under my arm, chatting across the stage and some knucklehead decided laying a music stand down between the rows was a good idea to hide it. Yep I didnt see it - lost my balance and "leaned" onto my horn into the chair, feeling the squish all the way down. No creasing but alot of bends - imagine taking your horn sideways into vice... yeah its ugly.

It now resembles a taco... Im not really laughing about it but I guess sooner or later bad things happen. I have had this horn since 1980 (i bought it new), and while I have a good collection of horns, playing is not the prob - Im just attached to it and would like to restore it.

I live in CA and am looking for a "professional" shop that can rebuild this horn for me.

any ideas? Im stuck and Im picky. :roll:

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Dick Akwright in Oakland is (for starters) a fantastic repairman and has decades of experience fixing and modifying horns. That's who I'd go to in NorCal.

Southern California I have no idea - but I'm sure other posters do have many ideas

True Tone and mwilbanks1 like this.
  3. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I think Kanstul will work on Strads--contact him, see if he wants to work on yours. If they won't/can't I'm sure they will suggest someone.

True Tone likes this.
  4. CaptainAddy

CaptainAddy Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2010
    Camden County, GA
    +1

5. davedk

davedk New Friend

Jun 23, 2010
    california
    Thanks for the info. I do truly appreciate it.

I live in Central Cal so either north or south is fine...

thanks all - anything else please post it up!

:D:D

6. Steve Hollahan

Steve Hollahan Pianissimo User

May 31, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Hello, msot repairs can be handled by a competent local repair guy or gal. I fix "pretzeled" horns all the time for pros as well as students and amatures. I am in Charlotte, NC at Sam Ash Music. Call a local pro or contact a Sam Ash Music for details. Thanks, Steve Hollahan

7. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    There are several good choices in Southern Cal. Kanstul was already mentioned. Anaheim Band Instruments is very good. Also, Randy Anglin is in Fullerton and I have had him do a lot of work for me. His number is 714 992 6633 if you want to give him a try. But, as Steve Hollahan said, you might google 'musical instrument repair' and see if there is someone closer to you.

True Tone likes this.
  8. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I've had really good experiences with the Windsmith in San Diego - good turn around as well as good work.

9. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    And of course, there's our resident expert technician, Ivan Hunter ("trumpetsplus").

10. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Call Robb Stewart in Arcadia California. He specializes in restoration and is very attentive to the instruments original look, feel and functionality. Take a look at his website (link below) and see his before and after pics.

Robb Stewart Brass
    140 E Santa Clara Street # 18
    Arcadia, CA 91006-3204
    (626) 447-1904

Good luck,

True Tone and Brassman64 like this.