Repair Shop Damage

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Beef, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Beef

Beef New Friend

Feb 26, 2010
    Hi,

I have just got my Bach 37 trumpet back from the repair shop. A valve had rolled onto the kitchen floor last week while I was cleaning it and was slightly bent.

They have repaired the valve but when I got home I noticed a series of minute dents and scratches along part of the bell.

I am 80% sure these were not there when I took it in but I can't be certain.
    It's too late in the evening to ring now but I was considering ringing in the morning to ask if they know anything about the damage.

As they are a repair shop would they not have repaired this damage if they were responsible?? Or is it very difficult to repair very small imperfections?

Because I am not sure they damaged it I am a bit reluctant to call.
    What would anyone else do?

Beef

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    If you aren't sure, just describe it to them and ask if it can be fixed cheap, and pay them to do it. 80% isn't sure enough. You can be honest with them and explain you hadn't noticed it before. It is quite unlikely that it happened there.

veery

3. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    I've seen that on many horns (that weren't taken the best care of), very common.

4. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    I definitely wouldn't accuse the shop of damaging your horn based on 80 percent. It wouldn't be fair to the shop, and you'd feel terrible if you turned out to be wrong. You can get the horn fixed by this shop, but if you really do think they damaged it, you might be in the search for a new shop.

5. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    It's amazing what we notice when we look closely at our instruments. And it's never the "ideal" time, which would be immediately when the damage occurred. If the instrument was in the repair shop for a valve repair, it seems highly unlikely that the instrument would have been in any situation where it would have bumped against things to cause the little dents and scratches.

How well do you know this repair shop? Is it one you've used before? Was it recommended by someone whose opinion you trust?

You say the small dents/scratches are in the "bell" -- the bell section starts at the 1st valve casing and continues all around to the end the sound "comes out of." Are the dents at the big opening of the bell? Do you insert your mutes carelessly? Are you one of those trumpeters who shove the horn down onto the mute on the floor? There are lots of reasons that we don't think about for the little dents and scratches which form on the inside of the bell. Similar dents sometimes occur on the outside of the bell from things moving around inside the case.

I'm not trying to defend the repair shop you went to, but make absolutely certain you've eliminated all the possibilities that you might have caused that damage a little at a time until it became more noticeable to you before accusing the repair shop. If it's the only shop in the area, remember you may well need their services again and if you've created a stink over something they didn't do you may find it difficult to get good service from them again.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Where are the scratches? That is often a clue to feed or dispell your suspicians. There are very typical areas where even well cared for horns get "hey, I'm used" marks. Lay your horn on a chair for instance. Look where the horn actually contacts the chair.

If some saxophone repairman actually handled your horn, anything is possible. I have seen them just grind away the dented part of the valve for situations just like yours........

7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    We often look at our instrument more carefully after it comes back from the repairman than we do when we buy it new. Smash repair shop owners tell me the same is true of car owners.

That being said, most repairmen will take out easily accessible dents as a matter of course, just as part of their service.

8. Beef

Beef New Friend

Feb 26, 2010
    Thanks for all your replies.

I've come to the conclusion that damage could have been there before (probably that guitarist I sit next to bumping into me).

I have one more question if thats OK. The repaired 2nd valve is not quite as good as it used to be. When pressed straight down it comes back fine but if depressed at an angle (which sometimes happens despite best endeavours) it judders on the way back up.

Am I expecting too much for it to be mended as good as new?

If all else fails is it possible to buy a new valve that will fit and if so does anyone have any idea of the cost (2nd Valve Bach 37 ML).

Thanks again,

Jon

9. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    If you are pushing the valve in crooked, it isn't the shop's fault. You could lap the valve until the tolerance is so poor that it would work like that, but I highly highly recommend not doing that as it can't be reversed and is a terrible idea.

If you bught a new valve, it would be more picky about being pressed correctly because new pistons have tighter fits than worn ones.

10. Beef

Beef New Friend

Feb 26, 2010
    I'm not critising the repair shop for the valve repair. I'm grateful they have got it back to a state where I can use it.

I try and press the valve correctly each time but sometimes don't acheive the perfect contact. It used to be more forgiving before I dropped it and had to have it repaired.

Playing with it today I was never 100% sure that it was coming back up. When that happens it is easy to become destrated and playing the music becomes a little more difficult.

Jon