Repertoire suggestions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Greg5850, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Greg5850

Greg5850 Pianissimo User

Jan 10, 2004
    WI
    Manny, I am a high school BD and have played for 40+ years. I've done quite a bit of big band, concert band, and still play in a quintet. Anyway, I have revived my interest in the instrument and need stuff to play. I don't want method book of exercises, I want music! I've been enjoying some of the more modern solos lately, I've played the oldies in the back of Arban so much my family sings along with all the variations!

Do you have any sort of list of books and solos that you use/recommend?

Thanks so much for doing this forum.
    Greg

2. rmwtrumpet

rmwtrumpet New Friend

Dec 4, 2004
    Have you played Tyrell's "40 Progressive Studies for Trumpet". It is a book of 40 etudes, and unlike some of the Rubank etudes, these etudes have a nice melody making them enjoyable to play.

3. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Ya might have some fun with some of the jazz etude books out there. they are a blast and help on fundamentals and specifics.

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    "Manny, I am a high school BD and have played for 40+ years. I've done quite a bit of big band, concert band, and still play in a quintet. Anyway, I have revived my interest in the instrument and need stuff to play. I don't want method book of exercises, I want music! I've been enjoying some of the more modern solos lately, I've played the oldies in the back of Arban so much my family sings along with all the variations!

Do you have any sort of list of books and solos that you use/recommend?"

Dear Greg,

If you want to stay busy for a while I heartily recommend the two Brandt concertpieces available through International publications, the folks who put out the Voisin, Bartold excerpt books.

Very challenging and great tunes contained therein!

ML