Replacing Felts

Discussion in 'Horns' started by captjack, Sep 12, 2005.

1. captjack

captjack New Friend

Dec 12, 2004
    Indiana
    I was just wondering, how often should felts be replaced? I know that they are a part that wears out on a trumpet. I haven't gotten any sort of valve alignment on it so I don't need to worry about messing that up.

One other question, since I'm getting the felts replaced should I go ahead and do a chem clean on the horn? I've owned the horn for roughly six years and it hasn't received more than the usual monthly bath.

Thanks

2. BigDub

BigDub Utimate User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Part one: Replace the felts when they get too flat, matted down or worn so as not to do their job any longer. Or if they are so discolored you want to freshen them up I suppose. ( I feel like I need to do that also, as well as the corks!) Thanks for the reminder!
    Part two: I would say the chem clean is not yet needed because you have been faithful to give it a bath regularly. The chem clean is for when you are beginning to feel resistance and have problems you didn't see before, in my opinion.

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    The felts on a trumpet should be replaced more often than once every 50 years (see my Felt Mayhem thread) ......:roll:

Turtle

4. BigDub

BigDub Utimate User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I've been glued to it. It's kind of a sticky subject though.