Replacing stolen horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by acwells, Sep 10, 2004.

1. acwells

acwells New Friend

Sep 7, 2004
    Ajax, Ontario, Canada
    Got a problem, couple of days ago my YTR6335HS was swiped out of my vehicle. It had a Bob Malone leadpipe MB1 and played quite nicely. The problem becomes on of what to replace it with. I get replacement value through insurance but I dont know what to call suitable.

I had a chance to try the 8335 and the RGS and found the regular 8335 stuffy but the RGS was really nice and open.

Has anyone else migrated from a 6335h w/MB1? and if so what to and what did you find in the comparison?

thanks

2. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    i am very sorry to hear about your stolen horn.

i play on a yamaha malone C and i have yet to play anything that comes close to it. maybe you should just find a temp horn and keep an eye out for another Malone horn.

good luck!

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Look around in the pawn shops in your area. It might show up. Most people who steal things like horns have no idea what they are worth. They go to a pawn shop and get what they can.

Also, keep an eye on eBay. It might so up there if the crook is a bit more sophisticated (but it is much riskier to them).

I suppose you could look for a replacement horn of the same type, or use it as an excuse to try some horns.

Jim

4. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    It probably was pawned for $50 to get a junky through another night. If it's on pawn, then it won't be for sale for about 90-days. Depending on the local laws, the police are likely required to notify pawn shops of the stolen horn. You might take your police report to the shops to ask them to look on their systems for the horn (the s/n will be in their database). Some will cooperate, but many may not. You increase your odds by offering to pay the loan, plus 100+% interest. Since you've got insurance money, that'll be a bargain all around. Of course, if you find it and you're willing to wait, the police can recover it as stolen property, but they may take months. The pawn angle is a long shot, but worth pursuing for a "special" trumpet.

The 8335RGS is a darn nice horn, but I preferred my "Designer" 6335HS with 5" bell (no Malone pipe, but another "special" horn).

Dave

5. Liberty Lips

Liberty Lips Pianissimo User

Dec 7, 2003
    This may not solve your immediate problem, but the Bob Malone Yamaha C trumpets are due out soon (I'm not sure when exactly) and are said to be exceptional. The retail price is supposed to be around $3000. If that sounds enticing to you, you may wish to acquire a used C trumpet that will get you by for the moment, then buy the Yamalone when it comes out with your insurance money and sell your interim trumpet. How long can you delay the insurance company?

6. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    the few people i know of here in GA that have played them have not given them the thumbs up. they seem to prefer their malone mark I's and II's over the new one.

7. riffdawg2000

riffdawg2000 Pianissimo User

Jan 9, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I agree with Diz ... IMHO, they ain't worth the $3k that Yamaha is gonna ask for them. I played both models at ITG. They are nice .... but not worth $3k. You can do the same to a Xeno, or MkII, with tweaking from Ken Larson, or Mr. Melk ... and end up about $500 cheaper ...

Diz and I take from the same 'pro' teacher ... and he and the rest of his trumpet section did not really care for them.

8. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    so is it ken larson that does the malone leadpipes now or are his leadpipes different?

i heard that yamaha has all of bob's tools under lock and key.

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    $3,000 US!??? :shock: For that kind of cash you can buy an Eclipse! Or Taylor, or Lawler.... even a new Schilke with cash left over for a suitable case and mess of mouthpieces and mutes!

Edit: Oh yeah... in case you didn't notice, ACWells is in Ontario Canada where horns cost a wee bit more than they do "down there"!

AC, I saw an 8335 RGSM (matte silver) on the wall at Long & McQuade in Victoria BC at Easter with a sticker price of $2,300 Cdn on it. True, it did not have a Malone pipe however.

10. acwells

acwells New Friend

Sep 7, 2004
    Ajax, Ontario, Canada
    Yeah, The concensous seems to be to wait till something comes up.. I have spoken to Ted Sparks who had Ken build him a "Yamaken" ;-) and Ted says he really loves it . If I quote Ted properly he said " it's the nicest horn he has ever played" This coming from a lawler owner is pretty high praise in my books.

My only restriction is that to get full kick from the insurance I actually have to spend the money so I will probably get the RGS and send it to Ken later on for tweeking once it's broken in.

I have heard about the Yamalone and apparently they do not have the same touch as ones that he produced years ago. It must be difficult to reproduce the masters touch. I remember talking to Chase Sanborn during a lesson and he said that we are in a golden ero of horn making with someone like Bob who Chase met at the Yamaha factory once. Took Chase's horn put something in the leadpipe, hit it with a hammer, took it out and said "here try this now" and to his amazement the horn totally opened up.

I think I know my direction now. Thaks to everyone for the feedback!