Replacing stolen horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by acwells, Sep 10, 2004.

1. riffdawg2000

riffdawg2000 Pianissimo User

Jan 9, 2004
    Atlanta, GA

I'm eating my words now .... Da*n the 'Chicago' is a good horn!
    :-o

2. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    so we go from "man it isnt worth 3k" to "I am just going to get it on WWBW 45 day trial" to "Da*n the 'Chicago' is a good horn!"

:D

so let me guess, you are keeping it? :-P

3. yesenia

yesenia New Friend

Feb 7, 2005
    Bloomington, IN
    Wow this new Yamaha seems to be controversial! I haven't spoken to any two people that say the same thing about it. Does anyone know why it is so expensive?

I also hear there is a 'New York' model coming out. Can anyone substantiate this?

4. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I imagine the price comes from the R and D on the horn, decades of Malone working on his own designs, and years of working with Hagstrom and copying the CSO bells etc…and I am sure that they are put together with the utmost attention to detail.

I guess it comes back to what the Monette users are always saying, if it does what you need it to, then price really doesnt matter.

5. riffdawg2000

riffdawg2000 Pianissimo User

Jan 9, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Basically, Diz is correct. All the R&D, creating 'mass-production' processes in Japan in order to produce the special bell, etc..etc..To be honest, I can see why it cost so much....BUT, remember ... the horn is brand new..you are gonna pay a serious amount for them now...Law of Supply & Demand. Dillions & WW&BW, etc probably pay Yamaha $2500 for each horn (if that) .. and they sell it to us for $3300...Thus a huge profit for the dealer. But this may last a year or so ... I know that The BrassBow, Chuck Levine's, Prowinds, and a few others are selling straight at $3k.

The present 'Chicago' is basically a very close copy of the CSO vintage Bachs..but with Bob's MC1 leadpipe. It is basically 'close' to the Bach 25A or 25S leadpipes ... Now that leaves the folks who like the 25H set-up out in the cold .... well

The 'New York' model is supposed to be Yamaha's answer to that need. I guess we'll have to see...whenever it comes out.

6. ALLCHOPS

ALLCHOPS Piano User

Nov 14, 2003
    Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
    Yamaha?

I tried a Yamaha YTR 734 @ The New York Trumpet Company that had a Taylor Conversion that was really nice(Lead Pipe & Braces). I'm not sure of the specs but you might want to give Felix a call and he can explain it to you. He may even post a photo and or send it to you for a short trial period...

I'm not sure of the price but I think it's less than $3,000.00 :roll: :roll: :roll:

Hope this helps!

Tony G

7. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    An Andy Taylor conversion. Called it the "Zenith."

The valves are thick Taylor (I guessed it was Taylor, just by the look of the caps), the caps themselves are more like Picket brass (They threw me off). VERY heavy look, but I'm guessing the valves are very fluid. The leadpipe also looks like its been changed. I dont think much else was done to it...

There was some question as to the price, but I think it has been worked out. I would also agree to what Tony said. Give Felix a ring.

Van