Replacing the interior of a 1930s wooden gig case?

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Efig, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Efig

Efig Mezzo Piano User

Sep 29, 2016
    New York
    Hello forums,

So I saw a handsome antique wooden case on eBay that was recently lacquered or polished.

It's one of those 1930s early 40s cases with the bell side that is shaped to fit the bell of the trumpet.

I've decided to replace the old musty red material that was originally stitched in.

I want to replace the old red plush/velvet with more modern cushioning with more protection for the horn. But I know I can't fit too much in a small case.
    Anyone know a person or a company that is willing to do that type of work?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

True Tone and Dennis78 like this.
  2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Whoever you choose, make sure they understand the kind of work they are doing and what you are going to keep inside that beauty of a case. And that means: No solvent-based cement to be used, just organic glue. No synthetic cloth - wool or cotton based plush. No styrofoam padding - use fine straw or compressed organic cotton padding instead.
    Most modern materials are more or less solvent-based. And solvents can exude fumes for a very long time... and those fumes are extremely aggressive on old lacquers and silver plating. I had the "pleasure" of experiencing this - even after airing the case for months it was unfit for trumpets. So I had to find a new use for a custom made case...

3. Efig

Efig Mezzo Piano User

Sep 29, 2016
    New York
    Valuable info, I will keep it in mind to avoid using solvent based material. I have some horns that have perfect lacquer, would be a shame for some of it to come off.

4. larry huene

larry huene Pianissimo User

Jan 13, 2008
    Chicago
    Check with Violin, string repair, those guys are used to dealing
    with old cases & instruments and understand that kind of work
    and the sensitive use of materials.
    I had a similar old case but gave up because of the price
    wasn't as nice as yours though.
    I was quoted a price of $350.00 just for the inside.
    I later found the material through a guy that upholstered
    vintage boats & cars, he was the most helpful of all the
    people & businesses I spoke to.
    Good luck,
    Larry

True Tone and Efig like this.
  5. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    I appreciate the work and materials involved to do it RIGHT, but $350 sounds outrageous for just the inside. Upholsterers don't charge that much to reupholster a bucket seat.

6. OldKing

OldKing Piano User

Aug 20, 2016
    NW of San Antonio
    A lot of those old car guys are "eccentric", to say the least, but they might also listen to your unique requirements.

7. Brian H. Smout

Brian H. Smout Piano User

I have had a vintage case interior repadded. Despite treatment with a biocide and ozone first the newly refurbished case smelled nearly as bad as it started. Personally, I don't think that it is worth the effort. Wait for a similar used case in better shape to show up in the classifieds.

8. larry huene

larry huene Pianissimo User

Jan 13, 2008
    Chicago
    Efig,
    I have been wondering about your decision on the interior
    of your nice wooden case if you are still going along with the project.
    Larry

9. Efig

Efig Mezzo Piano User

Sep 29, 2016
    New York
    Sorry for the lack of updates, I decided not to refinish it for now and left it the way it is. I've been far too busy the past few weeks with work and I might also consider putting the case up for sale or trade for something.

Or I can keep it and resume the project in the near future. It is a nice and unique vintage case. It's in great shape for it's age, it's only the interior finish that bothers me just a little.