Replacing the rotary linkages

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Sep 26, 2015.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    After reading this-->Replacing Valve Linkages
    A man trying to remove his B&S linkage into some kind of copy mechanism of a miniball linkages.
    I saw a rotary trumpet with a S style linkage but the seller changed the clockspring actuation to a modern spring-loaded one.
    My next thought was of buying an Amati rotary linkage set to fit it on the trumpet like Mr Denney did.
    But due to the fact the S style linkage are held between two rotor hinges but the amati supports a single hinge rotor.
    It could be a fun project but can it be done?
    I could buy these-->http://www.voigt-brass.de/gxshop/product_info.php?info=p117_trompete-fh-fluegel-ns.html

2. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    Good chance you'll ruin your rotary with drill bits and dremels.
    Slight chance you'll have a fun, successful project.

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    This was done to my Alexander horn when restored at the factory but only on the rotor end, I have considered to do the other end with the crossed pin joint but as it is not broke I will not fix it.

Regards, Stuart.

4. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Anything can be done, but why? Like Stuart said if it ain't broke.....

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Don't mess with rotors unless you have full training... they can be tricky beasts, and once they are out of line by only the smallest of margins, they stick. Hopelessly.

Messing with rotors is something like messing with a shotgun: "Oh, that safety does not look nice - remove it. And that trigger gard comes in handy on the birdcage, off it comes. And the barrel thickness is not elegant - let's hone it down a bit..."
    Takes the finished gun and decides on a hunting trip. Loads the gun with buckshot. Has to climb a fence during hunting, catches the trigger on clothing because there is no trigger guard. Gun goes off because there is no safety catch any more. Shot would have gone harmlessly in the air - but the honed down barrel can't stand the pressure and explodes. Guy dies in agony and by inches because he's got 15 buckshot all over his body. Bear finds body and starts to eat. Touches trigger with paw... second barrel goes off... explodes... bear dies... poor teddy...

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I was waiting for the Yogi Bear and BooBoo punch-line. But you have words of wisdom which we hope some BooBoo listens to.

Smarter than the average Bear.... so to speak.

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    [​IMG]

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Do you know why he's holding the buttstock so high?

So that no one can get at the trigger!