Replating - worth the risk?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by transalpian, Jun 15, 2010.

1. transalpian

transalpian New Friend

Jun 6, 2010
    Greetings!

I am officially now a "come-back" player, restarting after a 23-year layoff. So far, not as bad as I feared.

My main horn is a '77 Getzen Eterna Severinsen (in silver-plate). The horn plays fantastically, but cosmetically is fair to poor condition. The plating is thin to missing at every contact point and is pretty dull overall. The finish is so rough at the contact points that it irritates my hands!

So, I've read on the forum about the excellent work done by Anderson Silver Plating. Money is a whole lot less of an object than it was 23 years ago, but still is a factor in decisions like this. But my main concerns lie in the replating process changing the way the horn plays. This thing has lightning fast valves and that uber-powerful Getzen sound. I don't want to do anything to change that.

So, my questions -

Is there a risk in replating changing the way the horn plays?

Is Andersons as good as advertised?

Thanks in advance

'alp

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Any effects on the horns playing ability will be mental and not a result of the plating.

3. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I've had horns plated [from raw brass, re-plated in silver and redone in laquer. I have used 3 different people to prep my horns for silver plating - 2nd chair, Charlie Melk and Tom Green. All did real good work and I did not notice one bit of change to the way the horn sounded or played. They all used Andersons plating for silver plating and Charlie did his own laquer. My raw brass horn sounded exactly the same when it came back silver plated so I don't give much credence to those who say silver plating a horn makes it brighter. Use a good tech to prep your horn, some really go crazy with the buffer/ polisher and can ruin a good horn.

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Personally, if you want it replated, I would send it back to Getzen.

Tom

5. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Anderson Plating is probably the best in the country, as many manufacturers use them as well.

6. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    So are you saying that the "feel" of the horn can affect how you play it? If so, I never knew that.

So a person would sound different on a raw brass then he/she would on a silver then he/she would on a gold?

Sorry if that might be confusing. But this is some interesting stuff! :D

7. Sol

Sol Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2004
    One word of warning about Anderson: If you decide to send the horn directly to Anderson, be aware that they won't plug the valve casing. This means that the inside of the casings will be plated as well. This happened to me, and the valves were never the same again. If you have your horn plated through a shop (who sends the horn to Anderson), they will make sure that your valves are working properly by lapping them in. No need to worry in that case.

Anderson could just plug the valve casing, thus avoiding any potential problems.

8. Hoosier303

Hoosier303 Pianissimo User

Nov 2, 2008
    Indiana
    send it to Tom Green and Anderson's still do the plating.

9. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I am saying the exact opposite. Plating has a minimal effect on a horn's playing characteristics. Any perceived sound change due to plating is in your head because you think that silver makes it brighter etc.

10. transalpian

transalpian New Friend

Jun 6, 2010
    Does Getzen do this? It seems from the website (not clearly, mind you) that they don't do any type of repair/rehabbing, other than for warranty work.

I'd think the warranty has expired in the 33 years since my horn left their factory....