Replating - worth the risk?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by transalpian, Jun 15, 2010.

1. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Hm, that's how I read it too. I thought they did do some repairs on their instruments but clearly I was wrong.

I would definitely consider having someone reputable do the work and handle the plating for you.

Tom

2. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    Well whoever you send it too, please post some before and after pictures!!

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Getzen will work on there own horns. they will do the best work on there on horns. If in doubt contact them. They are very nice.

4. transalpian

transalpian New Friend

Jun 6, 2010
    I sent them an email asking the same question. I'll post any responses.

Thanks

'alp

5. transalpian

transalpian New Friend

Jun 6, 2010
    I got a very nice response from Getzen today, explaining that they no longer do any non-warranty work. She pointed me in the direction of the same people aready mentioned in this thread.

At least now we know!

Thanks

'alp

6. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Even though Getzen cant help you I want to give a plug for them anyhow. I toured their shop and playtested their line and even some prototypes about a year ago and they couldnt have been nicer. Mary and everyone in the plant were friendly and bent over backwards for me to have a great experience. You would have thought I was going to order a truckload of brass instead of just one small horn. Yes...get that Severnson restored, they say vintage Severnson Models are the best! Good luck.

7. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    Silver plating and gold plating don't really make a difference. It used to be that when lacquer was applied, it was very thick. That's why Schilke, who believed in getting the best quality horn for the lowest cost to the customer (that's why Schilke never had fancy engravings on his horn) still never lacquered his horns, even though it would have been costly. It might have been true back then that lacquer deadened the sound (barely), but now, whether it is lacquer, silver, or gold, there is no difference in terms of sound quality.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The plating is very thin and has no "damping" factor like lacquer. The work is not in the plating, it is in the prepping of the horn. The best plating in the world is CRAP if the horn underneath is not properly buffed and cleaned BEFORE. Get references before sending it off. You need a good tech if the results are to be gratifying. I am in Germany and have no recommendation for the states.

I am not sure that Andersons has the killer techs for the best prepping.

9. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Do you want your trumpet's playing characteristics changed by reducing the thickness of the metal?

Prepping of the horn involves removal of all the existing plating and buffing the whole horn. Where plating has been missing, the metal will be thinner than where plating was still present, and will also be pitted. The buffing shop will buff the metal to get the most even finish, which involves removal of metal down to the thickness of the pitting. Otherwise, when the new plating is done and polished, the pitting and uneven surface will be very apparent.

Also, please heed the advice given earlier - Anderson's do not plug the tubing. This means the valves and slides will need to be refitted after the plating. Also, all the rest the tubing will have a thin, unpolished plating.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010