Reputable Schools/Professors in California and Florida

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crazytrmpetnerd9, Feb 19, 2012.

1. crazytrmpetnerd9

crazytrmpetnerd9 New Friend

Apr 15, 2007
    Northeast, U.S.
    Hey All,
    I have been researching schools in both California and Florida, and thought I would inquire here as well. I am looking to do undergraduate work on trumpet, most likely Music Education. I would prefer a well established Jazz program. Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in Advance! :-)

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not in California or Florida, but why not try Indiana University. I mean Randy Brecker and Chris Botti did well by that choice.

3. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    I can't speak for academics but I think you find the bay area california to be historically jazz oriented and very much friendly to jazz music. If the cost of living in a big concern Florida will be cheaper to live. But your not going to beat California for it's roots in jazz.

I personally think you'll have the time of your life living the bay area...We've got earthquakes but no hurricanes :) We've also got some damn fine food.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not sure you are barking up the right tree there Mr. Chops. I believe the roots started in New Orleans, migrated up the Mississippi, finding its way into Chicago then eased on over to the East Coast. That is the tracing of the real beginnings of the jazz family tree. I believe Indiana University is closest to them roots.

5. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    In Florida:

FSU, UF, and USF all have great Music Education programs.

FSU is the largest, has a good jazz program, good trumpet program from what I've heard, but Music Ed trumpet students are likely to be taught by grad students for trumpet lessons.
    USF has the newest facilities, I've heard their program is VERY GOOD for music ed, but I have no idea about their trumpet teacher.
    UF is the one I'm at, small music school, good one on one approach, extremely well qualified teachers (and the over-qualified Dr.Davis --trumpet professor) Downside --- jazz program is young, underdeveloped at the moment.

You also have Stetson, with a small, decent trumpet program. Great Music Ed school, but a private college and a small jazz program. ($$) My sister attends there currently.

UNF has an excellent reputation as a jazz school, as does UM (private), though both are more aimed towards performance.
    UCF is moving up in jazz as well.

You will most likely want to go to FSU. As much as I hate their school (UF/FSU rivalry), if you want an established jazz program, and a good music ed program, in Florida, that's your best bet IMO. It's got it all, though other schools have their specialties, as well. After that, I would rank UF/UM, Stetson, USF, UCF/UNF, depending on whether jazz is most important to you or Music Ed.

I would say that this is largely a judgement on my part, but I have discussed this topic with many others before, so this is not a bad opinion.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You know Mark, as educated consumers, we are not letting you get away with this statement [hate is a pretty strong word] unless you elaborate. So elaborate:

7. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I have personal issues with the music school to begin:
    My sister, 1st/2nd chair clarinet all state in Florida for three years...was denied after an excellent audition, and they had room. Never quite understood that.
    As well, I have some qualms with their trumpet professor, but that's private.

With the students -- FSU fans get on my nerves, in general, though there are plenty that are nice. I had to experience them at the FSU UF game... it was not pretty when we lost that game at HOME.

As a MUSIC SCHOOL ---
    Three jazz bands, all of which are excellent, made of grad and undergrad students. Their Music Ed program is very large, tough to get into, and I have a few teachers and friends that went through their programs, and they are well prepared.
    Their trumpet professor knows his stuff, there is no doubt about that, and I believe he studied under Dr. Davis, but I don't recall. Hence why I would rate it so highly, despite my personal issues regarding the school.

8. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Gmondy jazz does not have it's early roots in California. But the abstract jazz movements and beatnik movement had a tremendous place in the SF/oakland area.

Hell it's worth moving to california for the chinese dim sum. Pork buns are worth the commute :)

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You got me there, dim sum definately helps in winning my vote over to CA. I absolutely LOVE visiting CA when I get out that way to travel. Almost landed a job there a couple years ago as an Associate Dean of Medical Education at UC San Diego. Just down to me and the guy from Harvard. They chose the guy from Harvard.

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro