Required Listening

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Dec 25, 2011.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    make it a BIG check ROFL ROFL ROFL

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    or mind you he is his own legend ---- ROFL ROFL ROFL ---- but many a young lad looks up to GM, as he is taller than they are--- ROFL ROFL ROFL --- Did I mention that the Australian contingent is fascinated with GM???? ((REQUIRED LISTENING for the modern Jazz era -----for sure))

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  3. OldSchoolEuph

OldSchoolEuph Mezzo Forte User

Apr 1, 2011
    Michigan
    CD "Carnival" : Marsalis on a Bach large bell trumpet with the Eastman Wind Ensemble - the modern interpretation of the cornet virtuoso library of a century+ ago (and great Hunsberger arrangements for the accompaniment)

4. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    One piece that everyone should have to listen to at least once in their life. (and they will if they come to my funeral, as I'm having it instead of hymns.)

Sanctus, from The Armed Man by Karl Jenkins.

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Anything/Everything by Mnozil Brass (if I had to pick just 3 I would pick "Seven", "Magic Moments" and "Irmingard")
    Anything by Doc Severinsen (particularly his "Rhapsody for Now" album)

And if you want to give brass a rest, load up with AfroCelt Sound System or Loreena McKennitt.

This is of course in addition to the other splendid suggestions made which I won't repeat, and many more I would make if I took more time to think about it.

(Note that since the Mnozil stuff I mention comes on DVD you will have to pull out the audio and probably trim out the non-playing bits if you don't want to use your imagination/memory to work out what they're doing at various times during the shows.)

--bumblebee

Okay, just remembered ACSS and LMcK aren't classical, jazz or blues - but I would give them a go.
    More suggestions: Claudio Abbado and the Berliner Philharmoniker doing Janácek's "Sinfonietta" is really good. Orff's "Carmina Burana" done right is another.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  6. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Miles... Kind of Blue album. Chet... Let's Get Lost, My Funny Valentine. Pete Condoli... Blues When Your Lover Has Gone. Miles and Chet together ..... Witch Doctor with The Lighthouse All Stars and...Round Midnight. What do Chet, Miles, Gary and myself have in common ? The Martin Committee.

7. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Clifford Brown and Max Roach
    Mussorgsky - Pictures at an Exhibition/Night on Bald Mountain
    Aaron Copeland - Fanfare for the Common Man
    Mahler's 5 and 6
    Clark Terry (Gotta love the level of humor in his playing)
    Louis Armstrong's Hot Fives and Sevens
    Canadian Brass tribute to Louis Armstrong
    Trombone Shorty and Orleans Avenue Backatown

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I believe you all play(ed) Jazz also --am I correct??????????????

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That is correct KT, we all play(ed) jazz, AND all on the "magic flute-trumpet equivalent" the Martin Committee. Just put it to your mouth, place your fingers over the keys, and the instrument plays for you; all that is required is that you put your emotion in on the front end. This is the ultimate in required listening. Just listen to yourself and play! The ultimate requirement.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    +1 - we should also NOT dismiss ourselves in required listening --- hey very good point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!